Houston, we have a problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokensalt

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 25, 2022
Dartmoor, UK
Well, opened my brisket up today and wasn't an entire slab of protein. I was dying to do a full monster you guys all show off with you skills ;)). After taking out some hard fat that was left I've decided my only option is to go 2 rolled briskets. My butcher came round after with some pork shoulder (for pulled) and chicken thighs (roti kebab) and said its hard to get the perfect US style briskets round here, our cows are much smaller. Kind of makes sense. He's going to get me an entire one and let me try that.

Still going to be tasty but wanted the wow of a whole brisket rather than a carvery joint. Going to crack out the rib roast I have in the freezer too. More pics will follow.

Attachments

• 20220427_141536.jpg
    20220427_141536.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220427_140650(0).jpg
    20220427_140650(0).jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220427_141540.jpg
    20220427_141540.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220427_143229.jpg
    20220427_143229.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: JLeonard
Wow, that isn't the greatest brisket. I think you made a good decision on this. Should still be really good. It isn't always about the wow factor with a 12-pound brisket. But what you do with it. Hmm, sounds a bit off. But you get my drift!

Reactions: Smokensalt
Wow, that isn't the greatest brisket. I think you made a good decision on this. Should still be really good. It isn't always about the wow factor with a 12-pound brisket. But what you do with it. Hmm, sounds a bit off. But you get my drift!
I get you, but still wasn't expecting 3 separate pieces folded in half like that with some bits so thin you could see through them. Not so much the wow, but didn't want the carvery joint as can do that anyday. He's a good butcher and we get on well together so not doubting him but maybe will look at the next one I get and if similar will get chuck/braising steak cubed up and do xrays burnt ends instead. Will post pics once I've cooked it and the rest of the meat. Can't wait.

Reactions: Steve H
I get you, but still wasn't expecting 3 separate pieces folded in half like that with some bits so thin you could see through them. Not so much the wow, but didn't want the carvery joint as can do that anyday. He's a good butcher and we get on well together so not doubting him but maybe will look at the next one I get and if similar will get chuck/braising steak cubed up and do xrays burnt ends instead. Will post pics once I've cooked it and the rest of the meat. Can't wait.
Half the battle is getting a butcher. Or store you can trust. You say he is a good butcher. But did he do this cut? Or was he getting it from another source. And Joes xray xray burnt ends are a great bench mark to go for. It is on my to do list.

Reactions: sawhorseray
He did, said he had to take out all the hard fat. Will see what else he has for another time and if it's not a US style will bite the bullet and goto a link for usda grass fed briskets from a UK company. They look like the ones you lucky guys get in Costco for pennies.

Like I say here brisket seems to be a flat trimmed cut rolled up. Never seen a packer flat and point anywhere and have been round some awesome butchers.

Half the battle is getting a butcher. Or store you can trust. You say he is a good butcher. But did he do this cut? Or was he getting it from another source. And Joes xray xray burnt ends are a great bench mark to go for. It is on my to do list.
Lol, been looking at packers from online butchers. A Black Angus 7.5kg over £300. Most are 5-6kg and about £15-20/kg. Wow. I got that 5kg mess for £30. Not so disappointed now. Still going to taste awesome. Happier.

You ever heard of this brand?? Is it that expensive in the States? I get shipping costs but blimey.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220427-225201_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20220427-225201_Brave.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 57
Looks like you made the most of it with that roll and tie job. It will be tasty!
Next time ask him to just give you the brisket and let YOU do the trimming!!
Brisket doesn't go for pennies here anymore....

Looks like you made the most of it with that roll and tie job. It will be tasty!
Next time ask him to just give you the brisket and let YOU do the trimming!!
Brisket doesn't go for pennies here anymore....
First time rolling meat, was almost going to treat the dog but I don't give up that easily. Got a s,p,g, paprika with a sprinkle of cumin and coffee granules for the rub. Smells awesome already. Actually looking forward to the cook even though its a million miles from initial expectations.

Rolling will work but, just incase you want to try again see the example below....

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/prime-brisket-white-truffle-bacon-mac.302709/

Here is an example of a fully fat trimmed brisket (flat and point separated) and it can yield a very nice result. If fully fat trimmed ask the butcher for some of the hard fat so you can render it. Then once the brisket hits IT of 165-170, wrap it up but put some rendered fat over it (1/2 - 3/4 c). This will create some very nice brisket. The wow factor to me is the first bite of tender juicy brisket.

Last edited:
Rolling will work but, just incase you want to try again see the example below....

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/prime-brisket-white-truffle-bacon-mac.302709/

Here is an example of a fully fat trimmed brisket (flat and point separated) and it can yield a very nice result. If fully fat trimmed ask the butcher for some of the hard fat so you can render it. The once the brisket hits IT of 165-170, wrap it up but put some rendered fat over it (1/2 - 3/4 c). This will create some very nice brisket. The wow factor to me is the first bite of tender juicy brisket.
Going for it. Will order a packer off the net and just pay what I have to. Nothing cheap now and even thinking of stocking up on charcoal before it trebles in price and then doubles after that. :/

You ever heard of this brand?? Is it that expensive in the States? I get shipping costs but blimey.
They have a USDA certified black angus heard that is grazed feed. Should be a pretty good beef!
CreekSt.PNG

Not sure Double R will ship to you but they have excellent beef!
DoubleRR.PNG

I haven't. But others may jump in. And give you their thoughts on this brand
Not so much the brand, I am just kind of stunned with the insane price hikes on everything, I get covid, I get useless politicians, I get a lot of things but don't get the misery so many will go through before it stabilises, if it ever does.

They have a USDA certified black angus heard that is grazed feed. Should be a pretty good beef!
View attachment 630370

Not sure Double R will ship to you but they have excellent beef!
View attachment 630367
Wow, OK. I'm just in denial, and not that river in Egypt. I thought brisket was $5/lb over there and so common place unopened packs were used as door stops. Fair enough the comp brand etc but that's almost similar prices to here, maybe 20/30% more. Never complaining at prices again, well I am as they shouldn't be this high but that's political and not going down that fire pit of doom.

Do you have any access to thick cut beef plate ribs, aka brisket on a stick. Same great flavor (or better), far less time to smoke, not near as fragile as brisket. Just sayin'. I'm sure you'll have to pay premium, tho you may be able to source it locally. RAY

Do you have any access to thick cut beef plate ribs, aka brisket on a stick. Same great flavor (or better), far less time to smoke, not near as fragile as brisket. Just sayin'. I'm sure you'll have to pay premium, tho you may be able to source it locally. RAY
Guessing that's short ribs/Jacobs ladder? It's a mine field trying to get UK to USA cut conversions accurate. But anything ribs or brisket on a stick sounds like my cup of beef stock. Will investigate and try some. Thanks :)

So, it started this morning. Doing pork shoulder and larger rolled brisket 275f on the KJ and the smaller rolled brisket on my French rotisserie bbq. It's a lovely bit of kit but wish I had a stronger motor than the 1.5v D cell it runs on. Been on for 2.5 hrs so far with a bit of apple. Spg with some pap on the pork with a mustard bind and spg, arbol chilli, instant coffee and pap on the brisket. Smelling good so far.

Attachments

• 20220428_091348.jpg
    20220428_091348.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220428_112935.jpg
    20220428_112935.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220428_112941.jpg
    20220428_112941.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: mike243
I reckon they grilled 4 of the top meat packing company presidents in congress or somewhere north this week, they all had record profits since the covid started, basically supply and demand is what drove profit up, racketeering more like it , looking great, it will turn out very well I'm sure

I agree with you but will add they all.spoke to every world leader to do the same. Grrrrr. Hey ho

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky