Hot vs Cold smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As a Bradley owner, can you explain why it is expensive to cold smoke on a Bradley?

A 24 hour cold smoke would take 72 biscuits. For me, that's $30 just for smoke. I'm happy enough with the hot smoke results that at this point, I not willing to spend the extra money.

I’m not familiar with your smoker, but it seems to me if it produces smoke you could apply a good amount of smoke to your bacon for an hour or two then let it hang for three or four days. That would give the smoke time to permeate the bacon before freezing. Of course you could vac seal it also.

Keep in mind, when applying smoke to a cool product it will take on smoke more readily than when hot smoking. If your smoke is heavy, take care not to oversmoke it.

T

That is something to consider. I'm running low on bacon, so it may be time to buy a belly and try both methods. Either way, the results would both be highly edible!

Question: should so be concerned about the way the grain is going when I slice bacon?

Randy,
I agree with "T":

I've sliced Bacon in all different directions, and saw little difference.

So I generally slice it in many directions, in respect to the way the slices look the best, in regards to the Fat-Meat alternating ratio.

I think Bacon is the only meat that I don't care which way the grain direction goes

Bear

A 24 hour cold smoke would take 72 biscuits. For me, that's $30 just for smoke. I'm happy enough with the hot smoke results that at this point, I not willing to spend the extra money.
Whoa, forget that. After doing some research on your smoker, if I'm not mistaken, that would be over 5 pounds of biscuits, way too much.

After looking at videos to get an idea of the amount of smoke you are producing, I would recommend you start by not cold smoking your bacon longer than 1.5 to 2 hours. That would greatly reduce your cost yet provide a nice smoke to your bacon. 

Regardless the recipe or the technique used, as long as you like it, you win. 

T

Reactions: myownidaho

Whoa, forget that. After doing some research on your smoker, if I'm not mistaken, that would be over 5 pounds of biscuits, way too much.

After looking at videos to get an idea of the amount of smoke you are producing, I would recommend you start by not cold smoking your bacon longer than 1.5 to 2 hours. That would greatly reduce your cost yet provide a nice smoke to your bacon. 

Regardless the recipe or the technique used, as long as you like it, you win. 

T
Thanks, T! I now have a quest. Half a belly with the hot smoked method versus half a belly cold smoked two hours and vacuumed packed for a few days before slicing. I have plenty of guinea pigs for the taste test.
sausage.gif

I cold smoke my bacon in my Smoke Vault and I go about 12 hours with My AMNPS and find I get enough smoke flavor.

I go warm 115 to 120 for 12 hours in my MES and get plenty smoke but it seems intense, not over fine but intense. I would like to try dust but I am unable to find it here in St Paul Minnesota or Menneapplis.

Randy,

I go warm 115 to 120 for 12 hours in my MES and get plenty smoke but it seems intense, not over fine but intense. I would like to try dust but I am unable to find it here in St Paul Minnesota or Menneapplis.

Randy,
Hi Randy,

There must be a lot of stores in MN that have it, because MN is the home of "Todd Johnson" and Amazing Smoker.

Did you check the list of dealer's on his Web Site? There are 34 places in MN.

Dealer's list:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/v/vspfiles/downloadables/DealerList.pdf

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky