Hot Stick Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Dont know if i posted this, if i have sorry, if not please Enjoy

This recipe was given to me by a good friend back up in Pennsylvania.

10 pound recipe

10 pound lean burger or venison (85/15)

2 tsp. Pink Instacure

6 Tbls. Salt

1 Tbls. Black pepper

1 Tbls. Red pepper (I used chipotle)

1 Tbls. Garlic salt

2 Tbls. Accent (opt)

1 Tbls. Sugar

2 tsp. Cayenne pepper

1 tsp. Paprika

1-1/2 Tbls. Crushed red pepper (I ran thru spice mill just a little to break up seeds)

1 Tbls. Hot sauce (I used Franks Xhot)

1 Cup water (mix hot sauce into water)

2.5 Tbls. Encapsulated citric acid

Mix all together well except ECA. Just before stuffing mix in ECA.

Stuff into sheep casings or small stick size casings (17-19mm).

Smoke 1-2 hours (applied smoke) at 150-160 F. Then bump temp up to 170 till IT measures 152 F. Continue until desired dryness or dehydrate further for slim jim like dryness. Can stop at 152 IT for fresh snack stick style.

5 pound recipe

5 pounds of lean burger or venison (85/15)

1 tsp. Pink Instacure

3  Tbls. Salt

1-1/2 tsp. Black pepper

1-1/2 tsp. Red Pepper (I used chipotle

1-1/2 tsp. Garlic salt

1 Tbls. Accent (opt)

1-1/2 tsp. Sugar

1 tsp. Cayenne pepper

½ tsp. Paprika

2  tsp. Crushed red pepper (I ran thru spice mill just a little to break up seeds)

2 tsp. Hot sauce (I used Franks Xhot)

½ Cup Water (mix hot sauce into water)

1.5 Tbls. Encapsulated citric acid

Last edited:
I filed that one in my last to try file..............................
ROTF.gif

Typo fixed to be 1-2 hours of applied smoke.

No. You will need the instacure. You can omit the ECA but it will not have that tang so I would keep it in there.... Try a local butcher shop or get the instacure and ECA from the sausagemaker.com

I am going to give this recipe a try. Do you cure it in a refrigerator for a few days prior to smoking?

Sounds pretty darn good Nepas, thanks for the share. I've never thought of dehydrating sticks after smoking to dry them out for a texture purpose but that's a great idea. I had some great pepper sticks in WI the other month and they had a nice semi-dry texture and I was wondering how they achieved this. Maybe your tip is the answer to my question.

New to the site, lots of nice recipes and info on here. Nepas, I want to give this a go. I have a question about curing though. I normally stuff and throw them in the fridge overnight. I have never used ECA, so this is where I need help. Do you mix your cure and spices and let that sit overnight, and then mix the ECA and stuff and throw into the smoker immediately after?

yes. Mix the eca in right before stuffing. if you add it early the meat can become mushy

Got a batch of this in the fridge ready to go in the smoker!!! Been reading around on the site and I see where you say normally ECA and sugar do not do well together Nepas. I'm assuming this recipe IS the exception since everyone seems to like this one?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky