Horizontal offset recommendation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dfvellone

Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
I currently have a cold smoker and a charcol pit, but would like to find a quality built horizontal offset charcol smoker/grill.
I've had the intention forever to find an old propane tank that I could fabricate one from, but that ain't happening these busy days. I see a lot of these units out there, but they often seem on the chep side quality wise.
Any recommendations for a heavier gauge decent quality unit?

Thanks, Daniel

Reactions: JLeonard
You will get many opinions/recommendations as there are many quality offsets out there, but they aren't inexpensive. Also, wait times to get one, anyone, built is often months and in some cases, a couple of years. And unless you find a used one, you will have to get on a list.

All that being said, my build slot for a TMG Pit should be coming up in the next couple of weeks. When I got on their list, the wait time was 14-16 weeks. It's now up to 30 weeks and you'll find that to be the case with many smokers.

I wouldn’t ever use an offset. Smoke rises, it doesn’t go sideways.
Heat rises. Smoke follows airflow. When cooking with a proper fire, not smoldering charcoal, you have an abundance of heat and some must be shed to achieve a normal cook chamber temperature range. This is why you don't see many fully vertical stick burners. Insulated offsets tend to have large cook chambers and run smaller fires for the same reasons. A fire running hot and clean generates a lot of heat. You can only make the fire so small.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky