hooked

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

netspyder

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 18, 2022
Collinsville, IL
ugh. and jeez. maybe even jinkies. bought a whole cow... now i have 160+ lbs of ground beef, so, i went down the sausage rabbit hole since i don't use much ground beef. bought a stuffer on amazon (hakka - highly recommend). picked up bratwurst seasoning from amazon. last weekend cased up some natural hog casings and some collagen casings. ill need some practice at that, let me tell you... but had a couple patties' worth left over, and fried those up today. absolutely blew my mind how great the taste was. wish i bought the bigger stuffer (and, might).

seriously, this was a body builder cow - i'm going to have to add fat to the ground beef for sausage - those patties i cooked up didn't leave any fat in the pan at all. but super pleased about my first attempt at sausage - not crumbly or dry, but also not super juicy. room for improvement ;)

A whole cow?? Jealous...... It is a fun hobby and there are so many gadgets to be had.

Grab a copy of Marianski's book "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages" and you will be amazed at all the information and recipes for sausages.

Enjoy and post some pics. We all love pics.

Reactions: Jmac61
seriously, this was a body builder cow - i'm going to have to add fat to the ground beef for sausage - those patties i cooked up didn't leave any fat in the pan at all. but super pleased about my first attempt at sausage - not crumbly or dry, but also not super juicy. room for improvement ;)
Did they tell you how long the steer was finished, and was it on grass or grain? This can make a difference on the fat ratio of the burger. You might opt to add ground pork instead of more beef fat, this will help with moistness and give a little background flavor as well.

Did they tell you how long the steer was finished, and was it on grass or grain? This can make a difference on the fat ratio of the burger. You might opt to add ground pork instead of more beef fat, this will help with moistness and give a little background flavor as well.
pretty sure it was finished on grain and grass. raised on mostly grass. hung for 2 weeks before butchering. 1210 standing weight. 695 hanging weight. 534 yield, so am super happy about that. i have beef fat from various brisket trims, so am much more likely to use that than buy more pork to add to it.

A whole cow?? Jealous...... It is a fun hobby and there are so many gadgets to be had.

Grab a copy of Marianski's book "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages" and you will be amazed at all the information and recipes for sausages.

Enjoy and post some pics. We all love pics.
yes! the definitive book for sausage fanatics!

Attachments

• Qualitymeat.jpg
    Qualitymeat.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 10
I see alot of great sausage coming your way soon!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky