Honey brined turkey trial run

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sprky

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 26, 2007
Hutchinson Kansas
My 14 pound turkey went into the brine tonight.  I will smoke it on Sat. try it out and take the rest to work on Mon. If we like this brine this will be used for or Thanksgiving day turkeys.  My brine isn't exactly as planed, My helper (oldest son) made a mistake on measurement of salt, and added pickling spice twice. It's close so its not too bad. He was helping me out by making the brine less pink salt and honey so it would be ready when I got home from work, all I had to do was add the pink salt and honey. Inject turkey and get it into the brine. 

Original brine recipe 

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]1 1/2 Gal water[/color]

5/8 cup (5 oz) kosher salt

24 oz honey

1 1/2 oz pink salt

4 bay leaves

1 tsp pickling spice

1/2 tsp ground cloves

Recipe used

1 1/2 Gal filtered water

3/4 cup (6 oz) kosher salt

2 cups (24 oz) honey

2 TBSP (1 1/2 oz) pink salt

4 bay leaves

2 tsp pickling spice

1/2 tsp ground cloves

I will update on Sat. or Sun., with the smoke and the results and include Q-view, for your viewing pleasure. 

No worries buddy, 2tsp Pickling Spice is very little. I use that much in a Quart of Pickles. I would go with 2-4 Tablespoons in that much brine. That recipe sounds really good...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky