Homemade Tartar Sauce (my favorite!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL

Ingredients​

• 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice (bottled is fine, fresh is better)
  • 2 TBSP chopped dill pickle (not relish)
  • 1 TBSP chopped capers
  • salt and pepper to taste

Instructions​

• Combine all ingredients and mix well.
  • Refrigerate for at least 12 hours before serving.

Missed this go around.
I make my own tartar too. I use Duke's mayo.
For a different kick, I've used Famous Dave's spicy pickles.
There is no substitute for the capers.

Thanks

Ingredients​

• 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
  • 1 TBSP chopped capers

Instructions​

That is about the same recipe I use. If it is for only me I will chop up some of my ghost pepper pickles for it.

Reactions: gmc2003
Duke's mayo
I have never seen it for sale here in NY
Really? Check the bottom shelf for the black and yellow label.
Wife was adamant about Hellmann's (Best Foods when we lived in Seattle) but it was not the same and I couldn't get Duke's.
Now I can get Duke's both in Florida and Minnesota. Once she tried it oh yeah.
Biggest taste change is NO sugar so Keto friendly and a bit acidic which compliments most foods. Use a glycemic friendly sweetener for cole slaw. Don't need any sweetener for HV Ranch mixings

Reactions: Retired Spook
Duke's mayo

Really? Check the bottom shelf for the black and yellow label.
Wife was adamant about Hellmann's (Best Foods when we lived in Seattle) but it was not the same and I couldn't get Duke's.
Now I can get Duke's both in Florida and Minnesota. Once she tried it oh yeah.
Biggest taste change is NO sugar so Keto friendly and a bit acidic which compliments most foods. Use a glycemic friendly sweetener for cole slaw. Don't need any sweetener for HV Ranch mixings
Just check their website and nothing in any stores near me, closest is CT.

Thanks for the recipe ideas. Use a lot of tartar sauce on the tons of fish we eat and I'm always looking for ways to improve it.

BTW, Amazon carries Dukes mayo.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Duke's is not in Iowa never heard of it. But now I'll watch for it.
1670903514251.png

Sorry. I had to do it.
I must be fortunate to get it in the NW sticks of Minnesota. Local grocery chain used to carry, but the Wally Mart stocks..

I have never seen it for sale here in NY
Definitely top shelf mayo - like Hellman’s used to be when we were kids, before Wall Street took over and sucked every fraction of a penny of value they could out of the ingredients and work force...

I would give Duke's a try... before... you know. 😎

Never found it here in Iowa before either but have ordered it from Amazon many times...love the stuff! Currently out of it though. We first tried it just to see what all the hype was about...now we know.

And now we also know why Fueling Around Fueling Around is kicked out of MN a few months of the year...just too ornery lol! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: Fueling Around

Ingredients​

• 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
  • 1 TBSP chopped capers

Instructions​

That's a solid recipe Sherry, and somewhat similar to the one I use. I add some minced garlic and shallot, and use cornichons instead of dill pickles. I also double the amount of capers. Regarding the mayo, I do a 50/50 blend of mayo and sour cream, and the mayo's usually homemade though, in a pinch, I'll use Hellman's. Tried Duke's once and didn't care for it. Must have been one of those "acquired taste" things that I wasn't anxious too acquire.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky