Homemade smoker help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hunterking2210

Original poster
May 25, 2020
Hi everyone! First time posting on here but gotten a lot of advice already. Relatively new to this but I built a new smoker and was having some trouble maintain heat... have all walls filled with fireproof insulation and ceiling insulated and door. I am currently running electric burners and the past weekend my wall my plywood actually started to burn through from having the plates to close...

Question is will lining the bottom part of the smoker walls and floor with fire brick help hold and give off more heat and prevent my plywood from burning?

Thanks for the advice!

pics attached

Attachments

• 3B629812-5B95-4460-BC02-5A2B75A2CDA4.jpeg
    3B629812-5B95-4460-BC02-5A2B75A2CDA4.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 02205A8B-1C47-4940-8658-2E9789D1D8E0.jpeg
    02205A8B-1C47-4940-8658-2E9789D1D8E0.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 42
Plywood flashpoint is high, over 500° F; and yes, lining it with firebrick can hold the inside temps better, but how hot do you want your homemade cabinet,to go up to?? That is up in grilling range, not smoking range!

225F should be all you need to smoke meats... Lower temps if the meat is cured... Then transfer to your kitchen oven... It has controls that make finishing food easy....

Plywood flashpoint is high, over 500° F; and yes, lining it with firebrick can hold the inside temps better, but how hot do you want your homemade cabinet,to go up to?? That is up in grilling range, not smoking range!
I was at 250 this time and that’s the highest I ever taken it. I’m kinda confused myself as to why it started to burn through!

225F should be all you need to smoke meats... Lower temps if the meat is cured... Then transfer to your kitchen oven... It has controls that make finishing food easy....
Thank you! I would agree with you I was at 250 this round. But needed three electric burners to get there. I should have no problem with the amount of insulation I have to hold temps but for some reason it just won’t do it.

For insulating the bottom part of the smoker, use steel sheets with an air gap to protect the wood from the heat....
Since you are heating with electricity, close down the air intake to about 4 each 1" holes... Exhaust should be about 8 each 1" holes... Door should be sealed tight..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky