Homemade Red Pozole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Homemade Red Pozole

I had a craving for some Red Pozole, it was an itch that desperately needed scratching, and Juanita's canned Pozole wasn't going to cut it.

Cut 3lbs of pork butt into 1" - 1-1/2" cubes and trim the fat.
Brown well in a skillet, lots of color and crunchy edges to build flavor.
In a large stock pot add 8 cups of vegetable stock, 8 cups of chicken stock and 8 cups of water.
Bring it to a fast simmer and add the pork, bring to a boil then lower to a fast simmer.
Let this simmer, stirring occasionally, for about two hours until the pork is tender.
When pork is tender shred it, I use a wooden spoon to mash it against the side of the pot breaking it apart.

68MRyX6h.jpg

Mince a large white onion and 10 cloves of garlic, saute in the pan used for the pork.
Half goes in the pot, and half goes in the blender for the chile sauce.

While the pork is cooking, make your chile sauce.
I used Guajillo, Ancho and Chipotle dried chile pods.
Stem, seed and de-vein, lightly toast and then soak in hot water to reconstitute.
You can use the soak water if it's not bitter in the blender, otherwise use the broth you're cooking.
Place onions and garlic in blender, add the chiles and 3 cups of liquid and blend till smooth.

Add some oil into the pan the pork and onions cooked in, add the chile sauce and slow simmer.
Taste to see how spicy it may be and if it needs spicing for flavor.
Add salt, sugar, cumin and Mexican oregano to taste.

DptBFuah.jpg

Drain and rinse two 25oz cans of White Hominy.
Add to pot after pork is tender and shredded.
Add chile sauce to pot, use a sieve and/or cheesecloth to strain the sauce. Taste the sauce for spiciness, add as much sauce as you desire for color, flavor and heat.
It's also time for herbs and spices, cumin, Mexican oregano, epazote and both ground clove and ground coriander.
Let simmer for 1/2 an hour.
I usually end up adding salt one teaspoon at a time until the flavors "POP!"

Serve with any of the following, shredded lettuce or cabbage, thinly sliced onion / red onion, tortilla chips, cilantro, limes and slices of radish.

t1NCsW0h.jpg
VBgNOXlh.jpg

Last edited:
I’d have probably used a ladle to eat!! Lol for real cumin, Mexican oregano and cilantro flavors in that are a hell yea from me.
Oh yeah, gotta get the flavors in there.
I neglected to mention some other spices that went into the broth, epazote, Mexican oregano and both ground clove and coriander.

I just drank a large cupful of the broth with about a 1/8 cup of extra chile sauce added for the spiciness.
Yummmm!

Reactions: jcam222
John , that's awesome . As good as I know it was without it , I bet the hominy really puts it over the top .
I need to do a practice run with the sauce from dried chilis .

Reactions: chilerelleno
Holy crap that looks fantastic!! Knowing how great you are at developing Mexican flavors, it had to be amazing. Very well done my friend.

Robert

Reactions: chilerelleno
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky