Homemade Pepper Salad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jersey Jimbo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 26, 2020
At the Shore
I use about 10 lbs of hot peppers the long skinny ones, an onion, couple stalks of celery , basil. I cut peppers into rings chop up the onion and celery and a lot of garlic., put them all in a pot fill with extra virgin olive oil. stir daily for a week until it is half the height you started. Put in mason jars seal they keep in the pantry for a long time, they are great on almost anything And save the extra oil use it for cooking, salads what ever you use it for. It is hot but not real hot, after I made my first batch I have been doing them ever since. You can mix them in mashed potatoes for a nice treat
IMG_1663[1].JPG
IMG_1664[1].JPG

Reactions: tallbm and kruizer
thanks for deleting the duplicate one. This is a treat for people who enjoy hot peppers,

Last edited:
You dont Cook them, Salt Brine Ferment, add Vinegar or Pressure Can them for storage without Refrigeration ???

While I realize there are Recipes forRaw Oil Packed Peppers and Grandma's, around the world, may have made them for 50 years and no one died...Unless Cooked and Refigerated or Pressure Canned, the Risk of Botulism and Death remains!

The Owner and Staff of SMF DOES NOT Recommend Reproducing this Recipe!

Many vegetables and Especially those that grow underground, like Garlic and Onions, are susceptible to being contaminated with Clostridium Botulinum and its Spores This is the Bacteria whose Toxin causes the Deadly Botulism! One of the riskiest ways to be infected is eating Garlic, Onions and Vegetable packed in Olive Oil that has not been Cooked or Pressure Canned! The Oil provides the Oxygen Free environment the Bacteria needs to grow. Add the Moisture in Vegetables, a Neutral pH, no Vinegar, storing at a growth conducive Room Temp and you are at High Risk for being Paralyzed by or Dying of Botulism!
THIS is the reason ALL Oil Packed Vegetables and Homemade Infused Garlic Oil MUST be Pressure Canned to Kill CB Bacteria and Spores or Refrigerated Constantly!
See additional information below...JJ

Reactions: DanMcG
You dont Cook them, Salt Brine Ferment, add Vinegar or Pressure Can them for storage without Refrigeration ???

While I realize there are Recipes forRaw Oil Packed Peppers and Grandma's, around the world, may have made them for 50 years and no one died...Unless Cooked and Refigerated or Pressure Canned, the Risk of Botulism and Death remains!

Many vegetables and Especially those that grow underground, like Garlic and Onions, are susceptible to being contaminated with Clostridium Botulinum and its Spores This is the Bacteria whose Toxin causes the Deadly Botulism! One of the riskiest ways to be infected is eating Garlic, Onions and Vegetable packed in Olive Oil that has not been Cooked or Pressure Canned! The Oil provides the Oxygen Free environment the Bacteria needs to grow. Add the Moisture in Vegetables, a Neutral pH, no Vinegar, storing at a growth conducive Room Temp and you are at High Risk for being Paralyzed by or Dying of Botulism!
THIS is the reason ALL Oil Packed Vegetables and Homemade Infused Garlic Oil MUST be Pressure Canned to Kill CB Bacteria and Spores or Refrigerated Constantly!

Last edited:

I have been making these for along time. The recipe was passed down from my mom, who got it from my grandmother. I have been eating them for over 50 years. I never knew this could cause a problem, And I know others that eat these all the time. Sorry if I posted something that can possibly cause harm to someone. And I do not cook them they foment in the oil, no vinagar either.

It ok that you posted and I understand there are Old School, generations old Recipes, that can be dangerous even though there is no family record of anyone getting sick. No need to apologize.
SMF Management keeps me around to keep members safe from food poisonig.
In this case I'm just pointing out what Could Happen, members can decide.
BTW, I LOVE Jersey Long Hots on a Prosciut and Provolone!...JJ

Reactions: Winterrider
It ok that you posted and I understand there are Old School, generations old Recipes, that can be dangerous even though there is no family record of anyone getting sick. No need to apologize.
SMF Management keeps me around to keep members safe from food poisonig.
In this case I'm just pointing out what Could Happen, members can decide.
BTW, I LOVE Jersey Long Hots on a Prosciut and Provolone!...JJ
Now your talking about a real good sammie, prosciutto and mozzarella or provolone on a good Italian bread is priceless. you eat broccoli rabe? And I do put those peppers I make on a lot of food

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I like my Broccoli Rabe, sautéed in EVOO with a little Garlic, then on a Sandwich with thin sliced Hot Porkloin and melted Sharp Provolone.
33 years ago, I was working in Newark at th PO. We would get lunch in the Iron Bound Section. A tiny place run by some old Italian Ladies called Emilia's. They had a small selection of Sandwiches. But the Big Seller was an 8" Italian Roll stuffed full of Prosciutto, Sharp Provolone, Fresh Mozz and topped with Fried Jersey Long Hots... $5, this was 1988! The Famous NASTO'S Ice Cream was across the street. A cup of Fresh Made Chunky Peach Ice Cream was desert...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky