Homemade Dogfood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I make my own also, fry couple lbs ground beef, cooked minute rice, cornbread, parboiled potato cubes, cooked carrots, green beans, peas, wet it down with chicken broth, freeze in containers. Hell, if I need a quick meal I could just salt and pepper some and eat it my self. Ha Ha Yep, about the same price as canned dog food, I give him some dry on the side and he can choose what bite to take.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I've never trusted store bought dog food, so I've been making a supplement dog food and adding it to dry dog food for our black labs ever since they graduated off puppy kibbles. Roxy just turned 14 and Addy died of bone cancer about 8 years ago. They both loved it.
Mine is pretty simple and varies with what is in the fridge and freezer, but always runs pretty uniform.

-4 to 5 pounds of meat (all the trimmings--beef, pork, chicken, turkey, ham, chopped raw bacon)
chopped into roughly 1" pieces. All cartilage is considered meat
-about 3 pounds sliced carrots
-1 bunch of sliced celery
-1 large yellow onion coarse chopped
-any left over veggies in the fridge (usually broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, or blanched swiss chard)
-some tomato sauce or paste
-1 quart of beef or chicken broth
-2 quarts of water

The liquids and veggies go in a BIG pot and boil for a couple of hours. Then the meat is added and boiled for 1 hour. The pot is moved to the back of the stove over low heat for about 4 hours. When cool, it is packaged up in 6 plastic tobacco cans and frozen.
When a container is thawed out, all the fat on the surface is removed.
At meal time, I mix a generous amount into 1 cup of the dry dog food. Visiting critters get the same thing to eat and the bowls always come back licked spotlessly clean.
Gary
Never ever give dogs onions. By doing so you are poisoning them slowly.
All parts of the onion plant are toxic to dogs, including the flesh, leaves, juice, and processed powders. Whether raw or cooked, fried or powdered, onions and the rest of the allium family (garlic, shallots, leeks, and chives) are harmful to dogs.

Never ever give dogs onions. By doing so you are poisoning them slowly.
All parts of the onion plant are toxic to dogs, including the flesh, leaves, juice, and processed powders. Whether raw or cooked, fried or powdered, onions and the rest of the allium family (garlic, shallots, leeks, and chives) are harmful to dogs.
Didn't know this about onions. Good to know, but both of our dogs (black lab sisters from the same litter) were fed this supplement from the time they switched from puppy food to adult food. Roxy lived to the age of 14--good for a lab--and Addy died of bone cancer at age six, so it doesn't seem like onions affected them at all.
Gary

Didn't know this about onions. Good to know, but both of our dogs (black lab sisters from the same litter) were fed this supplement from the time they switched from puppy food to adult food. Roxy lived to the age of 14--good for a lab--and Addy died of bone cancer at age six, so it doesn't seem like onions affected them at all.
Gary
Ya some dogs can tolerate more then others. Some have cast iron guts and others will cost you big time in vet bills trying to figure out what they can eat.
After getting my Golden Retriever and being retired I started making her home food, you really have to be careful of the ratios of meat, veg's and I use rice as the binder with pure pumpkin. Not the pie filling one as it has tons of sugar. The ground beef and skinless chicken breast I boil for 20 minutes, let cool and run the chicken breast through my grinder and mix every thing together. She will not eat carrots for some reason. Loves peas. I mix it all in with her dry dog food. Some days its gone faster then speeding bullet and other days she takes all day to eat it.

I also make these homemade dog treats which she just loves. I freeze them and on hot days its like a doggie popsicle :)

Ingredients:

One 398mL can pumpkin puree (plain) for dogs not pie mix. get from petsmart or Amazon, sometimes walmart will have it.
2 Tbsp. honey (honey is a natural sweetener)
1 large egg (can skip it if your dog is allergic)
1 Tbsp. applesauce
1 Cup whole wheat flour (add more if needed)
2 tablespoons peanut butter
Serving size: 10 to 15 cookies
Bake @ 350 for 25-30 minutes

Prep time: 15 minutes

Reactions: GaryHibbert
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky