Home made Kraut

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks good Richie! LIKE. I never thought of adding caraway seeds, even though I like them on cooked cabbage. I have been making kraut for several years with my relatives, maybe I'll add some to my crock this year.

Denny that sounds like a fun family event,how long do you let yours ferment.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Yes. It also generates heat during fermentation. Think of it like the cooler it is, the slower it spoils. Stuff in the fridge still spoils, just not as fast as on the counter.

There is not a specific ideal temperature, but my experience is that a relatively stable temperature is best.

My old house it was always warm in the basement.In the winter this may go down to 53°F but I will put a heater in this year to keep my Bay Leave plant from dying.
Richie

Well done Richie, that kraut looks like it's gonna be good in 6 weeks.

Point for sure
Chris

Chris It has come down to every thing home made is always the best,I think my mother made relish once,I am the only one that tries different things.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Great Start Brother Rich!!
Be Back for the Final!
Boy you guys like it chilly!!
I keep my heat at 68° in Winter & AC to 73° in Summer, and Mrs Bear sits with a Blanket 24-7-365!!!

Bear

Great Start Brother Rich!!
Be Back for the Final!
Boy you guys like it chilly!!
I keep my heat at 68° in Winter & AC to 73° in Summer, and Mrs Bear sits with a Blanket 24-7-365!!!

Bear
Brother John that temp is in my basement,the living area is 69°F both floors.Heat has been on a few weeks already.
Richie

Denny that sounds like a fun family event,how long do you let yours ferment.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie
Sorry for the late reply Richie. We usually make it in early to mid November. It sits in a semi-heated garage until around the first of the year (give or take a week or two due to the temperature and everyone's individual tastes)

Sorry for the late reply Richie. We usually make it in early to mid November. It sits in a semi-heated garage until around the first of the year (give or take a week or two due to the temperature and everyone's individual tastes)
Denny Thanks that sounds almost the same as my time line
Richie

I just opened a jar from a batch that I made 3 years ago. I have one more from that batch that I'll open next year. Only gets better as it ages!

I just opened a jar from a batch that I made 3 years ago. I have one more from that batch that I'll open next year. Only gets better as it ages!
Case Did you can that (hot water bath )? I froze my last batch.
Richie

Looks like you're going to have some good kraut there Richie, I guess I'm not late to the party, there's still time.

Looks like you're going to have some good kraut there Richie, I guess I'm not late to the party, there's still time.
Joe you are always welcome to the party at any time.
Richie

Kraut finished after 8 weeks smells great
Bagged for the freezer
100_0207.JPG
Richie

I have 10 pounds of kraut that has been in the crock since Thanksgiving week, in the 62 degree garage. It will go for several more weeks since I still have a couple quarts in the refer from the last batch.

Reactions: S-met
I have 10 pounds of kraut that has been in the crock since Thanksgiving week, in the 62 degree garage. It will go for several more weeks since I still have a couple quarts in the refer from the last batch.
That should be some good stuff when its done
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky