Holy Moly Stromboli!! (W/Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I actually made this a while ago and the pics have just been sitting in a folder on the desktop of my computer. Every time I thought about posting it somebody else posted something similar so I kept holding off not wanting to steal somebody else's limelight. The time has come....finally. Made some fresh pizza dough in the bread machine and rolled with it.

The meats: spicy Italian sausage, homemade pepper bacon, and smoked ham. Cooked the bacon and sausage of course.
004.jpg

Pizza dough all done
005.jpg

Since I plan to make two I cut the dough ball in half
006.jpg

Roll out the dough, place a dinner plate upside down on the dough, and cut around it with a pizza cutter
007.jpg

008.jpg

Pecorino Romano cheese
010.jpg

Add the meats
011.jpg

Red bell pepper, red onions, and Pepperoncini peppers
013.jpg

Fresh shredded mozzarella
015.jpg

Get both put together and gently slide onto the pizza stone then brush with egg wash
021.jpg

Onto the grill running 375-400. Took about 25 minutes and they are done
022.jpg

Plated up with some homemade marinara
026.jpg

Close up
028.jpg

These were really good but they were enormous. One of them could have fed both of us but I had to do my best to devour one in it's entirety. Fell a bit short though. These were right up there with the insane sandwiches that Travis ( Sowsage Sowsage ) posts up but in a different format. You really don't get the perception of how big they were from the pics. With most of the stuff being homemade, that's what really set these over the top and I can certainly see doing them again...but will invite a couple friends next time :emoji_wink: I've loved a good Stromboli for as long as I can remember and these were right up there at the top with the best of them. Just packed with flavor and lots of gooey melted cheese. Oh well, now I can move this folder off the desktop and make room for something new. Y'all take care and see ya next time.

Robert

Looks beautiful Robert! And filling! Bet they were amazing, especially with the marinara sauce!

Ryan

Damnit man that looks f'in delicious! I like the fact you didn't drown the inside with the marinara and decided to do a dipping sauce instead. Genius. Carousel worthy material. LIKE!

Looks Mighty Tasty, Robert!!!
Nice Job!
Like.
However that "Smoked Ham" looks more like "Canadian Bacon".
Still Awesome, I'm Sure!

Bear

Oh man your killing me! That looks fantastic!! And just the right size!! Lol! Its hard to beat something that's that full of homemade goodies man....nice work and a BIG LIKE on this one!
P.S. I have a sandwich in the works....stay tuned Robert!

Now that's one beautiful piece of work Robert, big Like! I've never made stromboli before be this will be on the list as soon as I can smoke up a batch Canadian bacon, I use it like ham. RAY

Those look fantastic. Bread makers are great to use for making things like these. I use mine several times a week. Now, you got me wanting to make some...

Lookin good!!! I’ve got the same bread maker. Can’t figure out a decent recipe for pizza dough.

Looks great Robert. Your ingredients are perfect. Some restaurant stromboli's have ricotta cheese in them, and I don't like it that way. Mozz + Peccorino Romano good, Ricotta, bad. Excellent job.

Looks beautiful Robert! And filling! Bet they were amazing, especially with the marinara sauce!

Thanks Ryan. The marinara is super simple but we love it!! It gets used a lot.

Damnit man that looks f'in delicious! I like the fact you didn't drown the inside with the marinara and decided to do a dipping sauce instead.

Appreciate it John. I made the mistake once of putting sauce inside and it just turned into a gooey mess. Worst part was that the bottom got all gooey and didn't crust up. Never again.

Nice Job!
Like.
However that "Smoked Ham" looks more like "Canadian Bacon".

Thank you Bear, but no, it's not Canadian bacon. It's ham that I buy from Costco already cured and ready to eat. I cold smoke it for a few hours, let sit overnight in the fridge, then slice and vac seal. Appreciate the kind words.

P.S. I have a sandwich in the works....stay tuned Robert!

Thanks for the kind words and I'm almost afraid to see what you have in the works. the impromptu creations are bad enough. Kinda scary to consider what you may think up with some time to ponder it :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: Sowsage
Well worth posting. Looks delicious !

Thank you sir!! Glad I finally decided to toss it out there.

Wow - that just looks fantastic. Big like!

Appreciate it Eddie. Got the cogs turning for another one to do pretty soon.

I've never made stromboli before be this will be on the list as soon as I can smoke up a batch Canadian bacon

Thank you my friend for the kind words. Certainly you could use Canadian bacon, but this is ham, which I prefer. I'll do a pizza with CB and pineapple though :emoji_wink:

Holy moly is right, Robert! That looks great!

Very much appreciate it Derek.There was a little Italian place we used to go to that offered something similar and they called it their Holy Moly Stromboli. I stole that from them :emoji_laughing: Seemed applicable though.

Robert

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Those look fantastic. Bread makers are great to use for making things like these. I use mine several times a week. Now, you got me wanting to make some...

I love the bread machine and it gets used quite frequently. Heck, sometimes I even make bread with it :emoji_wink: There's a number of different things they are good for and I try to utilize it as often as possible.

Looks very tasty. Great job Robert.

Thank you Rob. I appreciate it sir.

Robert that looks amazing my friend. Perfect ingredients

Thanks so much Jake. I have a tendency at times to go overboard with things and this one was getting close but it turned out to be a nice combination of goodies.

Robert

Nice work .

Thanks Chop!!

Lookin good!!! I’ve got the same bread maker. Can’t figure out a decent recipe for pizza dough.

I couldn't either. Been buying stuff from this place for a while and everything has been excellent. Went to place an order a while back and saw their pizza dough mixes. Decided to give it a shot and love them!! So easy and SO good!!

Some restaurant stromboli's have ricotta cheese in them, and I don't like it that way. Mozz + Peccorino Romano good, Ricotta, bad. Excellent job.

I like ricotta, especially in lasagna, and could see the merit of it in a Stromboli, but I just love the gooiness of the mozz and the flavor of the Romano

That's a darn fine stromboli Robert! I like ricotta in mine. But I can live without.

Thank you buddy. I could certainly see ricotta in these but didn't have any. Might try a 3-cheese version next time and use some.

Robert

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky