Hole in my UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joepeep77

Original poster
Aug 19, 2016
Hey all, been awhile!

I've had my UDS for around 5-6 years and finally the rust on the bottom seems to have gotten bad enough that there's a small hole there now. Any suggestions on a fix? Piece of sheet metal and some pop rivets? Metal screws? Ball up some tinfoil and stick it in there?

I really don't wanna lose the old girl, we've had such great times together.

Also, when it is finally time to say goodbye and I get a new one (or build one, seems easy enough), what's the best way to keep it from rusting out?

As tempting as it is to weld a patch, rusted out steel could cause a bigger hole. I'd try hi temp JB from the outside. It's an amazing product. Read t his thread.

EDIT - The "Extreme Heat JB is good to 2400*F, that would be better.

Best prevention is to not let ash get damp, Or build an ash pan from a large pizza pan. If you buy a new drum, get a hazmat drum, they have heavier steel.

Last edited:
As tempting as it is to weld a patch, rusted out steel could cause a bigger hole. I'd try hi temp JB from the outside. It's an amazing product. Read t his thread.

Best prevention is to not let ash get damp, Or build an ash pan from a large pizza pan. If you buy a new drum, get a hazmat drum, they have heavier steel.

I wonder if it'd be a better idea with a subsequent smoker to store it in the shed (recent acquisition as we moved a few months ago, didn't have that at the last place). Probably also need to be more diligent about cleaning it after use (oftentimes it's late, tired, long day, etc).

I wonder if it'd be a better idea with a subsequent smoker to store it in the shed (recent acquisition as we moved a few months ago, didn't have that at the last place). Probably also need to be more diligent about cleaning it after use (oftentimes it's late, tired, long day, etc).
Yes on the shed. I have mine sitting on fire bricks so moisture can't build up under it. Its about 13 years old and still looking good.

I have burn barrel that has the same issues someone mentioned that leaving ash, and moisture creates a acid that speeds up the rusting process

Reactions: chopsaw
Anytime you have an option to keep the smoker out of the elements I would go that route. I keep my offset in side and it looks great. At minimum keep it off the ground with bricks or some sort of stand.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky