HOCKS AND BACK BACON

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Robert H

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
Greetings
I hope everyone is staying safe. Just sharing a few pics of some hocks and backbacon I smoked last week. Both the hocks and a whole loin in a five gallon bucket for about 3 weeks in Pops Brine. The hocks make the best bean soup, and I usually get four meals per hock per batch, couple of freshly made and rest in the freezer for a lazy dinner night. The backbacon was dried in fridge after taken out of the brine for a day and coated with some blackpepper and a bit of garlic powder. I have to get a new river country controller, since i had my fridge smoker a little too close to my furnace vent and condensation caused a nice little electrical storm and blew out one of the contacts halfway through the hocks. I looked through my box of camping gear and was able to finish with the controller from my old electric skillet. It is not perfect but it worked in a pinch. Both batches pulled at 140F.
20210213_124222.jpg
20210213_125529.jpg

Very nice!! Ham hocks are a staple for me, I cook with them a lot and keep them on hand in the freezer.

Thanks for the kind words and Likes. The hocks are one of my favorite things to cure and smoke. Lots of meat and makes a good thick smoky broth that cant be beat. Great for pork and beans also.

Wrapped in the oven would have worked, too.
Meat pretty much done taking in smoke at the halfway point.
Loin bacon is great.
Cheap meat and I give away almost all that I cure and smoke. Most of it goes to my egg supplier.
I cannot get hocks at a reasonable price. They are my favorite for pork ' n beans or potato soup,

Yes, that would have got her done also. I am lucky that there is a abbatoir about ten miles from me. They kill four days a week, and can get mostly anything on a day or two's notice. Most of their product goes to supermarkets and some local large butcher shops, but they sell to the general public also. The hocks are also great on the grill. Put on indirect heat.....love it.

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky