High Temp paint in Fire Box ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnylaw101

Original poster
May 2, 2020
I have a rusty bottom to my firebox. I’ve steel brushed, and wheel ground out 95% of it. But there is still some surface rust.

Use High Temp paint ? (2,000 degrees). Or just Stop and cover it in peanut oil?

Last edited:
These hi temp paints tend to say "momentary excursions to x degrees" or something similar in the "fine print". Fireboxes get hot and stay hot. Plus any polymeric paint product inside your firebox that doesn't hold up is going to find its way to your food and I don't think it'll be as tasty as salt & pepper.

That said, I don't think it could hurt painting the outside of your fire box with it. If it survives there, great, it will extend the life of your firebox. But it's also cooler on the outside (wind outside cooler than smoke inside) so I wouldn't assume that means it will survive inside where there are actual flames.

Perhaps peanut oil is best but I find it awfully easy to just coat steel things inside my cookers that I don't want to rust with spray-on cooking oil. The spray stuff from Costco is pretty cheap and a can lasts a long time.

Reactions: johnnylaw101
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky