high temp cheese in snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Doug b

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
Finally got some high temp cheese to try for the first time. I don't understand how it is supposed to hold its 1/4 inch shape after going through the grinder. Should I use the larger holed grinding plate when doing the snack sticks, or will the cheese still be in some kind of little pieces after going through the smaller plate? Thanks

Then how do I get it in the casings with the rest of the meat and spices?

i'm assuming you don't have a stuffer and you use the grinder to stuff, can you fine grind the meat then hand mix seasonings and cheese and then run it through the coarse plate, that might work

Jim, Thanks, that's actually what I was thinking of trying.

Time to get a dedicated stuffer.... I've used one just like this for 7 years...
It's on sale... $89...

...click below......
Grizzly Stuffer
Grizzly Stuffer.jpg

When making stick is just grate the cheese, alot less hassle to get them small for the casings and this way the sharp edges of the cut cheese wont gash the casings.

Hey, thanks for all the replies. I didn't realize there was a stuffer out there that just stuffed, didn't grind. Im still learning. Chopsaw, what is a bean plate? I have a very old electric Oster grinder that we use. Been doing ok with it it, until I bought the high temp cheese, and didn't want to grind it into tiny pieces. Guess ill try the coarse plate, see how it it goes, maybe next year get a dedicated stuffer. thanks for the pic dave

I'm afraid if you try and run that cheese through the grinder, it is just going to smash it up probably plugging holes in plate and make mush out of your sausage. Bean plate would be the best option.

Join the crowd... When I got here I was using a Kitchen Aid mixer to grind and stuff sausage... I gave up... Then I learned about dedicated sausage stuffers...
Wow !!! Night and day difference... I enjoy stuffing sausage now... Sticks, Brats, Kielbasa... So much better than store bought...

Honda, that's a thought, might try grating the cheese. Yea, its an old Olster electric grinder. This is the coarsest plate I have.
61jowPv1eEL._SX679_.jpg

You will find more choices if you search for "stuffer kidney plate" or "stuffing plate" as those are far more common names than "bean plate". Fewer holes=larger openings and more nearly intact cheese (and meat hunks in coarse grind sausages so try to find a two hole plate.

For cold smoked sausage regular cheese can be used within reason. Generally, the longer a cheese is aged the lower the water content and the more concentrated the flavor, so I use extra sharp cheddar. It has about the lowest water content of commonly available cheese and I can use a lot less of it than mild cheddar, Monterey jack or any of the high temp cheeses. Personally, if a cheese doesn't have enough flavor to be found in the rest of the sausage it just adds greasiness so I want something with some punch.....

Ordered a stuffer today. I have some jerky seasoning Id bought, Backwoods brand. Can I use this to make my snack sticks? I usually just make my own, but wondered if they would be good with the jerky seasonings.

I think I goofed. The tubes that come with the stuffer are 16mm, 22,32, and 38. The collagens I bought are 19mm. Will they fit on the smallest stuffing 16mm tube?
Seems like it will be too tight.

Found a casing sizing chart and recommends 12mm tube for 19mm collagen casings.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky