Hickory vs Oak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DustyJoe84

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 15, 2018
Kansas City
With a few smokes under my belt now I'm coming up with more questions. My first few smokes went really well using oak. I smoked some pork spare ribs a couple days ago and used hickory and noticed a tremendous difference in my experience.

I feel like I was able to maintain more consistent temperatures with oak and that I didn't have to add a split as often. Does hickory tend to burn hotter and faster than oak? With hickory I was having problems keeping the temperature down in the range I was wanting.

I burn OAK as my primary wood and then throw on a HICKORY Log or 2 during the cook.
how does that work out for you? can you taste the hickory? reason I ask we don't have hickory here, so I too use oak, but could buy some small bags of hickory for a store I suppose

Hickory burns quite hot. Simple solution is to use shorter splits, run a smaller fire.

If both seasoned I agree that the hickory burns a little hotter per same size. Regardless of species all my smoking wood get cut and one main splitting on the wood splitter then stacked. As I smoke I split it again and vary in size from wrist size up to maybe 3 times that and use as needed pending weather etc.

Reactions: Weaverspitbbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky