Hi from the south.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

got grits

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Lafayette La.
Hi, my name is Glyn And I live in South Louisiana. I am just starting to get into smoking meat for the first time. I am looking at doing a BBB for the first time and use my pit to smoke with for now.

What do I need to know?

Where do I start?

What is the cure for?

Any help would great full so I can get started on this journey. 

Glyn

Welcome. You sure are in the right place. Have pit will travel. There's a lot of helpful threads here and also some WIKI articles how to this --- how to that.  Have to spend some time and look around. I'm still surfing them. wayne

Hi Glyn,

Welcome to SMF from Baton Rouge.

Site has a bunch of members from Louisiana.

BBB is a cured boneless pork that is smoked.

Curing preserves the meat so that you can smoke at the low temps needed to do bacon and not have the nasty bacteria take over.

Start by reading everything you can find on curing and smoking BBB.

Then ask questions! You may have a hard(er) time doing it on a pit as it really needs to be smoked at lower temps than a charcoal pit can operate at.

Reactions: bigfatdaddys
Welcome to SMF! I would suggest you start reading some of the BBB threads. It's not hard to make, but it can be dangerous if done improperly.

welcome1.gif
 to SMF Glyn. You have come to the right place for smoking info. This site is loaded with great info just use the search bar at top of page to find what you are looking for. If you can't locate the answer just ask folks here are willing to share there knowledge. I suggest you take  the 5 day e-course on smoking its chuck full of great info.Smoking  5-Day e-Course

here's some reading for ya

Buck Board Bacon - Search

Thanks for the welcome. I have been doing some reading on this site and learning a few things, but have a great deal to learn. One thing that I see is keeping every thing clean and safe is the NUMBER ONE RULE. Now I have some questions about the process on doing it right. My first try will be BBB for now.

1. Is the cure used to remove all the water in the meat to increase shelf life?

2. When dry curing do you remove the water that is in the pan?

3. Do you have to re rub the meat when it is the  curing stage?

4. the longer you keep in the cure will it hurt anything?

That all I have for now. I think I have to start at the top to learn what to do.

Glyn

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky