Hi from Oak Creek, WI

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DaGooper

Original poster
Oct 19, 2022
I've been smoking on my Camp Chef 24 SG for a couple of years now. I haven't totally wrecked anything (yet!) and have created some things that turned out really, really well. My three favorites were a standard pulled pork, some turkey jerky, and a couple of tri tips. The first time I tried tri tip, I did it the "traditional" way, where it was done and served quite rare. It was tasty and delicious. Recently though, I saw a recipe for cooking the tri tip more or less like you would a brisket. I was leery to try this, thinking that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, I was nicely surprised that I liked it even better this way! I fooled some friends, who thought that they were legitimately eating brisket. Good stuff!

Anyway, looking forward to sharing ideas and solving smoking problems with all of you!

I've been smoking on my Camp Chef 24 SG for a couple of years now. I haven't totally wrecked anything (yet!) and have created some things that turned out really, really well. My three favorites were a standard pulled pork, some turkey jerky, and a couple of tri tips. The first time I tried tri tip, I did it the "traditional" way, where it was done and served quite rare. It was tasty and delicious. Recently though, I saw a recipe for cooking the tri tip more or less like you would a brisket. I was leery to try this, thinking that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, I was nicely surprised that I liked it even better this way! I fooled some friends, who thought that they were legitimately eating brisket. Good stuff!

Anyway, looking forward to sharing ideas and solving smoking problems with all of you!
Welcome- We're neighbors, sort of- I'm in Bayside. Just curious where you're buying your Tri Tip? I've found them pretty scarce in these parts. Thanks.

Welcome- We're neighbors, sort of- I'm in Bayside. Just curious where you're buying your Tri Tip? I've found them pretty scarce in these parts. Thanks.
Matt - we've got a couple of great butcher shops down here. One is Brossman's Meats in Caldonia and the other is South Milwaukee Sausage & Meats. Meijer carries them too, but they're pre-packaged and usually marinated.

Matt - we've got a couple of great butcher shops down here. One is Brossman's Meats in Caldonia and the other is South Milwaukee Sausage & Meats. Meijer carries them too, but they're pre-packaged and usually marinated.
Thanks for the info!

Welcome, from California. I just did my first brisket-smoked tri-tip after grilling them rare for decades. I was impressed and it turned out better than my brisket I did during the same session.

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. Try a chuck roast and smoke it just like a brisket if you haven't already. Have fun and happy smoking

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky