Hey this is cool

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rons

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Our local Walmart has this pre-sliced round roast called Milanesa, not sure what it's supposed to be for, but will be easy for jerky. It's a bit thinner than I normally like but having it all like this, and same price per lb as a whole roast, I'll live with the thinner slices.

Attachments

• milanesa.jpg
    milanesa.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 64
I think its for breaded cutlet, Italian style not a schnitzel. Most Latino markets will sell asada meat that is sliced about like that too. It's great for jerky. I like London broil, but have to slice it myself.

I think its for breaded cutlet, Italian style not a schnitzel. Most Latino markets will sell asada meat that is sliced about like that too. It's great for jerky. I like London broil, but have to slice it myself.
ok, fried round for breakfast, bleh
It's gonna work great for jerky I think. I usually use London Broil too but hate that the grain is going the wrong way AND I have to slice it myself. This at least will be super easy to make a quick batch.

I'd never thought about it until now but Walmart sells some other thin cut beef that might work as well or better than the milanesa. Sure would save on slicing time.

Last edited:
It's sliced eye of round roast normally ? The restaurant supply store near me sells it sliced, they also sell sliced beef knuckle.

I'd never thought about it until now but Walmart sells some other thin cut beef that might work as well or better than the milanesa. Sure would save on slicing time.

yes have tried the others too, the little cutlett looking ones work pretty good, just have to trim that fat off around the edges, I like that other stuff better since the slices are so big and lean.

Our local Walmart has this pre-sliced round roast called Milanesa, not sure what it's supposed to be for, but will be easy for jerky. It's a bit thinner than I normally like but having it all like this, and same price per lb as a whole roast, I'll live with the thinner slices.
Thanks for the heads up! I bought just shy of a lb of Milanesa and two similar sized packages of EOR. They look to be nicely sliced for jerky.

Reactions: rons
And along the lines of thin sliced meats.... I mentioned Latino markets for thin sliced beef, but the Oriental markets I visit, down in Colorado, have high end cuts like ribeye and Coppa butt roast sliced about 1/4" thick. Way too fatty for jerky, but they are delicious when cured the same, smoked or dehydrated the same and eaten on jerky day.
YIkROJv.jpg

And along the lines of thin sliced meats.... I mentioned Latino markets for thin sliced beef, but the Oriental markets I visit, down in Colorado, have high end cuts like ribeye and Coppa butt roast sliced about 1/4" thick. Way too fatty for jerky, but they are delicious when cured the same, smoked or dehydrated the same and eaten on jerky day.
View attachment 517840
those look good!

I'm doing a single test peice right now in the dehydrator (used liquid smoke in the marinade so I didn't have to bother smoking it). See how it works out in a few hours

I had some errands to run yesterday and one of them took me past Wallyworld. I got one pack of Milanesa and two of the EOR. I've never cooked with Milanesa before, but am definitely going to give it a whirl.
Beef 1.jpg

The Milanesa was sliced very thin, maybe 1/8" at most. It was kind of hard to work with getting it out of the food bag in the marinade. It had some marbling within, but just about zero cap. The EOR was a good 1/4" and had minimal fat to remove on some pieces.

Their EOR sliced was about a $1/lb more than their solid selections. However, I usually get my meat elsewhere and it's about $1/lb more than Wallyworld. So at the end of the day, at least for this experiment, it was a wash. It sure was nice not having to slice through 3lbs of meat though.

Overall thoughts are the meat worked great for jerky and not having to slice the meat was a BIG bonus.

Beef 2.jpg

The EOR jerky turned out real well with a mild chew and great texture. Maybe I shouldn't have bought my slicer a few weeks back......

Cheers!

I had some errands to run yesterday and one of them took me past Wallyworld. I got one pack of Milanesa and two of the EOR. I've never cooked with Milanesa before, but am definitely going to give it a whirl.
View attachment 517962

The Milanesa was sliced very thin, maybe 1/8" at most. It was kind of hard to work with getting it out of the food bag in the marinade. It had some marbling within, but just about zero cap. The EOR was a good 1/4" and had minimal fat to remove on some pieces.

Their EOR sliced was about a $1/lb more than their solid selections. However, I usually get my meat elsewhere and it's about $1/lb more than Wallyworld. So at the end of the day, at least for this experiment, it was a wash. It sure was nice not having to slice through 3lbs of meat though.

Overall thoughts are the meat worked great for jerky and not having to slice the meat was a BIG bonus.

View attachment 517963
The EOR jerky turned out real well with a mild chew and great texture. Maybe I shouldn't have bought my slicer a few weeks back......

Cheers!
Hey cool, great test, glad they worked out. I'm going to try the thicker ones myself next time, the milanesa is really thin, I did a couple test peices and it's THIN thin!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky