Hey>>>More Biltong

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Yeah yeah good stuff

I like it better than traditional jerky.

Loads of recipes to make the dry yourself or if you would buy pre mix look for Crown National Safari or Freddy Hirsch Hunters BT mix.

Im using some CN safari mix, dark brown sugar, added some ground black pepper Mix the dry together.
IMG_3699.jpg

Some malt vinegar and worcy sauce, mix theses together (i just eye it all)
IMG_3698.jpg

Yes leave the side fat on. I cut about 1" thick. You can go from 1"-1.5" and even 2". like thicker will take longer to dry.
IMG_3696.jpg

Sprinkle some of the wet in the pan then add some of the dry. Coat both sides of the meat, sides and ends.
IMG_3701.jpg

Keep layering the dry, liquid and meat.
IMG_3703.jpg

Cover and fridge 12-24 hours. Flip the meat slices at the 12 hour mark if you can or if you have a container that seals good just flip the whole lot.
Some original BT makes say dont fridge because it makes the meat tough? I have not noticed that.
IMG_3704.jpg

BBL

Should be great stuff! I had never had biltong before either until we did the Christmas exchange with Justin and his wife... so I can say I'm also a member of Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ biltong club! Very tasty! So many new things to try!

Ryan

They look great. Never made Biltong before, but now on the "To-Do" list when my jerky runs out. I'm thinking about using my dehydrator set @ the meat level to dry the biltong, like, jerky. Worth the effort? 🍻
Dehydrator is good but the meat temp like you would do jerky is too high. Biltong needs a lower temp.

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Dehydrator is good but the meat temp like you would do jerky is too high. Biltong needs a lower temp.

Oh this looks good. In my time living in South Africa many of the places we bought Biltong from dried it in a glass room with sunlight & fans. We'd buy a large piece and have them slice it for us. Man, it was awesome with a cold Castle beer.

These few strips are ready.
Got em hooked and going in the BT drum
IMG_3724.jpg

Hanging now. I use an unscented piddle pad to catch drips.
IMG_3725.jpg

Fan on draw. I have screened vents around the bottom. Temp in shed as of posting is 77*
IMG_3726.jpg

Justin sent me some of his BT and chili bites.......Mighty nice of him.

Chili bite being sliced.
IMG_3721.JPG

IMG_3722.jpg

And they are soon to be gone. And really good.
IMG_3723.jpg

Looks great. I grew up in southwestern Colorado. The RH is pretty steady at 15-20%. We always made carne seca (jerky) just hanging on a wire or in screened boxes. Traditionally from deer and elk, but we also did lamb and beef. Very much like biltong.
This can be slightly rehydrated with lime juice spritz and a short turn in the microwave. Becomes soft and chewy doing this.
Seasonings were always simple, salt, pepper, and some times Chile and garlic.

I squeeze, if its still soft in the middle its not done to my liking.

Namibian Biltong Recipe (Updated to add “vinegar sprinkle is a matter of choice”)

For every kg wet meat use.
Ingredients
· 18 gram salt
· 2 gram black pepper
· 1 gram brown sugar - optional
· 4 gram coarsely ground dry roasted coriander.

What you do
· Put spices in bowl.
· Mix by hand. Rub all over meat.
· Leave meat overnight in fridge and it will form its own beautiful brine.
· Next day blot the meat with paper towel to remove excess moisture
· Hang and voilà, perfect biltong after 3-4 days.
Sprinkle with vinegar if you wish, before spicing. Some like it, some don’t. Optional.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky