Hey I'm Flip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fliphyzer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
South Denver Suburbs
Hi there, just joined the other day and finally got around to confirming and whatnot.  I first started playing with smoke in '84 when at the ripe old age of 12 we got a Coleman gas vert water smoker for the house.  We lived in So Cal at the time so heat loss and whatnot was never an issue.  Moved to Denver in 94 and went over to a new friends house one day to find he had some 20 q's in his backyard, all lined up like belles at the ball.  Amazingly enough, he had my old Coleman model as well, and when I remarked about it to him he gave it to me on the spot.  I carried that one around the country with me for another ten years.  When I got married the wifey already had a grill, so I was forced to use that until I made enough cash to not have to justify what I wanted anymore.  That took a while, eh?  And the Mrs. did'nt hold a very high opinion of smoked foods, she's kind of highbrow.  One of the hazards of marrying up, I guess.  That all changed after the second time I made chicken thighs on my new brinkmann gas vert water smoker.  I think she thought the first time was just a fluke!  Anyways, she still loves me even if I smell like a texas brush fire. We have two boys, 6 and 1 1/2.  Thomas (the older) had a funky heart issue when he was born and had open heart surgery when he was ten days old.  Jack has Down Syndrome.  These two things have driven my wife and I into being supporters of multiple charities in Denver.  We support Children's Hospital, Cardiac Kids, Play for a Heart, The Mile High Down Syndrome Association, and The Denver Adult Down Syndrome Clinic.  My goal ultimately is to be able to pull off great barbecue for fundraisers for these organizations.  My most succesful item now is Turkey Breasts, brined and smoked, but after reading Meowwy's thread on basic pulled pork something good might happen.

I somehow heard about Dave Klose and started seeing the higher quality end of things and started working in that direction until a friend politely suggested I buy a cheap offset smoker first to see if I liked it.  So I picked up a chargriller duo and added the offset box.  That has been a real steep learning curve for me to deal with.  I tried to smoke two full turkey's for Thanksgiving family dinner (42 people!)  last year and had a terrible time of it.  They came out all right but so much stress was involved I dont think I want to do that again.  Main issue was heat loss.  So i have started to mod my duo to make it a little better until I can make my next step up.  I installed a vaporizer bar / wood chip holder smoker on the grill side, added a lower level to the smoke box and threw in a layer of lava rocks ( not the best idea but I am trying, maybe should have used soapstone?), bought a Bayou Classic outdoor fryer burner and took it apart and mounted the burner for that under the lava rocks.  I threw out the old charcoal tray and mounted a replacement grill to give it some more height. 

I saw on here that someone had installed an oven gasket to the inside of the unit, that will be one of my next steps, and the method of lowering the stack by sliding a pipe from the inside is very cool.  I figure I will have this thing all tricked out just in time to buy Klose's Caterer's Combo.  Although I have been very intrigued with Old Country's insulated units, living in Colorado we can have wild temp and weather swings.  If i want to buy a Klose because it's airtight and holds temp really well then an insulated unit would be just that much better, right?  Does anybody have any experience with either or both?

Anyways, thank you for havign me on this forum, I promise this is the most I will ever write at one time.  You all seem like a great bunch of people.

Oh and the Brinkmann vert? I converted it to mount to a drawbar for the hitch on my vehicle and be able to be staked down when I go camping, of course!

Welcome to the SMF family!!!!

Show us some q view when ya get a chance.

Welcome to the family.  I don't have any experience with the insulated models, but a lot of folks around here drape an insulation  blanket over their rigs to stabilize temps.  Might try that before making the bigger investment.

Don't give up on those turkeys just yet!  They are actually really easy -- and super tasty -- once you figure out the routine (a big crowd at TG is NOT the time to develop your technique!).  I'll be glad to share my experience on these anytime.

Cheers!

Welcome to SMF glad you decided to join us. Have fun and happy smoking

Welcome to SMF - nice into - thanks for sharing a little insight into your life - glad to have ya here

Welcome aboard!  Grab you a couple pork butts, they're very forgiving and make for some great meals.  Give Jeff's Naked Rib Rub a try on them (it is great stuff and also helps support SMF), along with some of the finishing sauce in the sticky over in the pork section.  Looking forward to your future Qview and thanks for the great intro!   
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome to the Family Friend

Brined Turkey
In a large pot mix
1 Gallon of water, 1 cup of Kosher salt and 1 cup of sugar. If you use table salt use 3/4 cup. You have to make enough brine to cover your turkey completely in the pot. Using the above recipe. I had a 18 pound turkey so I had to make 2 gallons and a quart of brine.
 Now anything you add at this point the turkey will taste like. I use garlic ,onion ,pepper corns, Poutry seasoning. and a dash of sage. You can use cajun seasoning, maple syrup. fruit, anything you want it to taste like. Hold the Turkey under the brine with a heavy plate, or a brick in a zipper bag.
If you are going to cook just a turkey breast leave it in the brine in the fridge for 5-8 hours. a whole turkey can stay in it for up to 24 hours. Rinse well and pat dry with paper towels. When you get the turkey in the brine, grab a stick of butter and mix in the seasoning you have chosen it to taste like, Roll it back out into a cigar shape and freeze it. After the turkey is nice and dry push your fingers under the skin and get it loose from the turkey. slice the frozen butter into madallions and push under the skin all over the breast
I had the turkey in for 21 hours. It went in at 18 lbs and it came out at 22 lbs. That's four pounds of juice and flavor. I smoked it for 10 hours and it was , I say was!! the best I ever tasted in my life.
You don't have to smoke it , Bake it as you usually would. I like to bake it in a sealed brown paper bag in a turkey baking pan. You can also deep fry it as long as you pat it nice and dry before it hits the hot oil. If you are not sure how to deep fry it email me and I will give you the proper process. Let's not start a fire. Give this a try ,,You won't say I am wrong. I guarentee it.

Right now I have two Turkey Breasts and a Pork Butt in the smoke.  I use Raichlens brine techniques for the base, 1 1/4 cups rock salt, 1 cup hot water, sliced onion, then I go way off the reservation depending on what I want, which usually involves 1/2 cup cayenne, paprika, garli, chili powder, etc.  Add another gallon or so of cold water once you have take that off the boil. Insert turkey(s).  Wait.

Today I was running a bit short on time, had a large party here till the wee hours of the morning, plus surprise sick kiddo.  But I have these nice neighbors from Russia and they just love my turkey, so when I told them I was doing the pork butt, they bought a turkey and asked me to cook it up as well.  No problem.  But now I was committed.  Brined the breasts for 4 hours, then injected them with brine and rubbed outside and inside the skin.  Easy Peasy when its 85 degrees out. 

The pork butt I am trying to do in Flip's Hawaiin style.  Another neighbor is gettting married in two months in Hawaii, and most of us cant go.  So we thought we would throw a Luau style party, only I am not pulling off a whole hog quite yet.  So today is test run day.  I made an injection of apple juice, pineapple juice, worcestshire, teriyaki, and prolly some other stuff.  It was late and I was in the middle of celebrating when I slapped that together. Anyways, injected, then rubbed, then following basic pulled pork recipe.  So I figure after I shred it I will mix it with a little sweet hot pineapple sauce, then serve it up as sammies. 

Totally awesome sticky by the way!  Learned very cool points about the plateu, foiling temp, fall off bone temp.  Still havent had deep fried turkey, but I want to get the q down first before I move on to the fryer.  I am intrigued with the paper bag story though. 

Didnt I promise not to write so much?      

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky