Hey guys..new member need some advice about to start building

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bretskie27

Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Conklin,NY
So I have a question?  What is the best style smoker to build I have just purchased two used propane tanks one which is 25x48 and another that is 22x40

Im not sure if I should build a lang style RF with the large tank if I should build a fire box with 3/16'' plate.  If I decide to do that style smoker the box has to be according to the calculator 20x20x20.  With the recent jump in metal prices the 3/16'' plate box will be $100.00.  I would rather not spend that much on a fire box when i only spent $40 on the tank. 

IF I do go that route I was thinking about lining the bottom with firebrick and using a charcoal basket for the lump charcoal I use as well as the wood.

The other option is to use a smaller cylinder that I have for the firebox.  The issue with that is the size that the fire cylinder will have to be.  If I make a lang style RF smoker with the smaller cylinder it will hang off the cylinder significantly.  This is going to be a moveable unit but not for the road . I will be making a homeade trailer for the smoker not using the trailer that I mentioned earlier in this post.  I would like to keep the unit compact. 

I have seen guys on here use a smaller cylinder but instead of making it an offset lang style the simply moved the cylinder (firebox) to the rear and set it lower than the cooking chamber.  Then they made an opening from the fire box to the cooking chamber.  Would this be a viable option?  would it produce as good of a product?

Thanks guys ...sorry for the long winded message Im still learning the lingo so im sure they will get shorter sooner or later haha...

Tanks,

Bret
icon_eek.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky