Hey from Australia! Total newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokey hombre

Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Hey guys,

I'm a total newbie who just got a smoker and basically have very little idea where to start! I've put the thing together but to be honest, I don't even know where the wood/water is supposed to go! Been reading about seasoning the smoker first, how do I go about that?? Any help would be great to start, here are a couple of photos of the smoker.

Hi Mate,
Don't know that brand of smoker. I just ran mine fora few hours on high to burn off factory residue.Gave it a rub over with paper towel. That was it.
Wouldn't worry about water pan early.
Mistygully.com.au have all the cures etc.
Why don't you kick off with some fish,simple brine from any one of a stack of threads here.
I did some blue mackerel a while back nice & cheap to start . I hang mine in pairs by the tails & smoke them at 100c until just done.
Welcome .
Mick

Hey Mick,

Thanks for the reply mate! Fish seems to sound like a pretty good starting point so that might be the go. Will check out Mist Gully for sure, anything else you think of let me know!

Cheers

Simon

Hey Smoke

Welcome to the forum  Petty request, but this old neck of mine doesn't twist like it used to do, so would really appreciate it if you would  post your pics "up and down'  Petty, I know, but when you get to be my age, all the little things count LOL(at me)

Gary

Welcome to the forum Smokey

You ve come to the best place for great information on smoking and many other types of cooking! Many friendly people here that love to help. Also make the search button your best friend. There are over a million post in this forum. That powerful information on a vast array of subjects right at your fingertips.
Brian

I would grab a AMZPS so you can generate smoke at low temps,the details are here. Mistygully supply them.
I don't know what you like to eat but there is all sorts of stuff you can do after a bit of research.
It's a great day when you crack the bacon code. Those Asian butchers sell a cut that's a 50 x 50 mm x 300 mm ,it's like a strip cut from around the shoulder got a bit of rib cartilage or soft bone in Chinese. About 8 to $10 a kg, you can play around with a few strips,brine mixes & smoke time . It's a great thing ,gets called speck in the deli. Lots of great cookery uses. Crack that then it's belly as a whole bit & it's bacon time.
If you need anything just ask mate.
Mick

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Cheers everyone! The bad boy is seasoned now and I'm going to have a crack at smoking something tomorrow night. I noticed that it's probably going to be difficult to get it low and slow so Mick, I'll be onto Mistgully this afternoon to check out the recommendation. Appreciate it mate, I'll be asking you questions for sure.

Thanks again guys!

Welcome to the forum Smokey H. , a great place here , and surely for "virgin" smokers like us.

And boys... give Smokey a break with his pics , my Aussie neighbor here have the same problem , used to live upside - down... LOL

Sorry Smokey , this was to tempting.

BTW : Andy (my neighbor - originally from Perth) is my best friend here , a meat and beer lover as well
thumbsup.gif

Cheers mate !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky