Hens & a Pie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Different kind of a day yesterday, thought I'd busy myself with some cooking and baking. Thawed a pair of game hens and coated them up with a hot spicy rub
DSCN4388.JPG

Had the spinner setup on the Weber, set to work with some small cherry splits I just picked up

DSCN4389.JPG

Got to working on a sugar free fresh strawberry pie, man I do love this stuff, came out nice!

DSCN4390.JPG

Hens were getting close, brushed on a little Joes.

DSCN4394.JPG

Pulled the birds when I got to liking the color, ain't my first rodeo, cooked thru and juicy. Was a fine day for some great whisky too!

DSCN4391.JPG

Plated the birds up with some fresh asparagus and a buttery cauliflower mash. The spicy rub really came thru, not too hot but a nice change

DSCN4392.JPG

After a little food coma nap it was time for dessert. That pie was almost too pretty to cut into, but I forced myself, dammed good!

DSCN4393.JPG

Well that about wraps this one up. Today will be a better day than yesterday, and tomorrow is football Sunday, GO NINERS! Thanks for lookin' in, and y'all stay safe out there RAY

Fantastic ! That would put me in a comma too . Good way to spend the day and change the " theme " . Perfect cook on those birds bud . Nice work man .

Thawed a pair of game hens
Those birds look fantastic. This reminds me that I have a couple in the freezer. Hmmmm...
Got to working on a sugar free fresh strawberry pie
Man that pie looks good. you've got those down to a science buddy.
Was a fine day for some great whisky too!
A toast and a tribute to our good friend John in AZ. I too broke out a shot of the good stuff yesterday in his honor.
Plated the birds up with some fresh asparagus and a buttery cauliflower mash
That is one fine looking plate my friend. The perfect meal for any occasion.

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
That sure is one Purdy meal Ray. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

Question: Lid on or lid off?

That all looks phenomenal Ray, nice cook my friend! I haven’t had game hens for a long while… that definitely needs to change! One tasty looking spin, sides are right up my alley and that pie… Yum!

Great looking meal Ray. Birds look delectable.
Thanks Moto! Between the rub and the sauce the hens had some real nice color and some heat. Thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Fantastic ! That would put me in a comma too . Good way to spend the day and change the " theme " . Perfect cook on those birds bud . Nice work man .
Thanks Rich! The spinner for the Weber is proving to be worth it's weight in eggs, loving the color and smoke yet still juicy. Thanks for the like Rich, much appreciated! RAY

Fantastic Meal!!! I love those spinners on the Webber. Between the spicy rub and your technique the bird had a gorgeous color and look delicious. Points!

Those birds look fantastic. This reminds me that I have a couple in the freezer. Hmmmm...
Man that pie looks good. you've got those down to a science buddy.
A toast and a tribute to our good friend John in AZ. I too broke out a shot of the good stuff yesterday in his honor.
That is one fine looking plate my friend. The perfect meal for any occasion. Robert
Thanks Robert! It was a proper send off, only a pizza could have made it more official. You got the Weber, spinner, and hens, all you need is the right weather. Thank you for the Like Robert, I do appreciate it! RAY

That sure is one Purdy meal Ray. Nicely done. Point for sure Chris

Question: Lid on or lid off?

Thanks Chris! I'm a lid off open air kind of guy, gets clean smoke and doesn't overheat that way. Toss on a half dozen fresh coals and a new split about every half hour, good to go. First two times I tried the spinner top on it cooked the skin off the birds, still juicy, but not what I was looking for. Thanks for the Like Chris, I appreciate it. RAY

Great looking meal there Ray
Thanks Jim! One nice thing I got a whole hen left, mane a couple of fine tacos! Thanks for the Like Jim, I do appreciate it! RAY

That all looks phenomenal Ray, nice cook my friend! I haven’t had game hens for a long while… that definitely needs to change! One tasty looking spin, sides are right up my alley and that pie… Yum!
Thanks Justin! I imagine you could walk out on your front porch and just shoot a couple of chuckers, darned near the same thing and free! Berry pies are my new cooking fad, replace the cup of sugar with Splenda, can't tell the difference but 800 less calories. Thanks for the Like Justin, much appreciated! RAY

Doesn't get any finer than that, everything looks fantastic! Dave
Thanks Dave, I appreciate the nice comment and the Like! RAY

Fantastic Meal!!! I love those spinners on the Webber. Between the spicy rub and your technique the bird had a gorgeous color and look delicious. Points!
Thanks Jed! I tell ya that rub did impart a spicy little kick, definitely keeping it on the rotation. Thanks for the Like Jed, I do appreciate it. RAY

Reactions: Flatrate
Man I officially crown you the yard bird and low carb fruit pie KING!! Seriously looks great.
Thanks Jeff! Heck, you were the one that got me on to using Splenda as a substitute for sugar, also got me hep to a cauliflower mash. That's what we do here, pick and use what we like, leave what we don't for others. RAY

Nice looking plate, Ray! No question that it taste as it looks.... On third pick (from below) I can see a glass with mmmm... something in it.... Looks great as well!! :emoji_wink:
Thanks Push! Yep, it was a day to send off and remember a dear friend, it required my finest, 23 year old single malt Glenlivet finished in a wine cask. I switched back over to straight bourbon whisky 5-6 years back tho there are still a few bottles of some very fine scotch in the back of the liquor cabinet. Thanks for the Like Push, much appreciated! RAY

Ray, those are some mighty fine looking hens. Look like they came out perfect.
And I bet the strawberry pie was the clincher for that meal.
Nice job!

Stu

That’s a Purdy smoked eagle Ray! Bet he won’t be flying tomorrow, go Niners!!
You bet Joe! Niners were prospectors working hard and looking for a better way of life. Eagles are lazy and dine on dead stuff. GO NINERS!

• Haha
Reactions: xray
Ray, those are some mighty fine looking hens. Look like they came out perfect.
And I bet the strawberry pie was the clincher for that meal.
Nice job! Stu
Who's kidding who Stu, you are the king of spinning hens on the kettle! I think gmc2003 gmc2003 Chris might be interested in some top-on kettle spinning advice, maybe you can chime in, it's beyond me. Thanks for the Like amigo, gimme a shovel, I can dig it! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky