Help with texture of sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ripper1

Original poster
Nov 22, 2021
Hello everyone, I have finally joined you all here instead of just creeping around for ideas. I have read different post about “mushy” sausage or “pate” like sausage texture but nothing seemed to fit my issue. I have used new knives and plates because I thought they were getting dull and mushing the meat through, not the case. I thought maybe the meat was not cold enough, so I ground it partially frozen last time. I have been trying to create my own seasoning and my only thought is could it be something I’m putting or not putting in that I need? Would using a binder change this? My venison bacon texture is great, running through the grinder at the same time. Here is what I have been using…
Venison and 30%pork loin
High temp cheese
Wild rice
Brown sugar
Curing salt
Black pepper
Garlic powder
Minced garlic
Cayenne
Mustard seed
Liquid smoke
Soy sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Jalapeños

I course ground the meat, mixed, and stuffed into casings. They were in the fridge overnight and put on the smoker in the morning at 120 (no smoke) for two hours. Bumping up 10 degrees with smoke every hour after that until 190, finished IT of 155. The taste is good but I can’t get past the texture. What the hell am I doing? This has all been self taught by reading and trial and error by the way so be gentle

Mushy/pate is typically too low of IT in my experience. Verify thermometer is good, might be 10-15F high causing a low reading. Looks like no fat in that recipe except cheese?

Reactions: tallbm
I was also going to suggest the fat ratio may be off. And I too would keep the temp at around 170. I don't believe this was caused by fat out though. Just a lack of it to begin with.

You didn't say what your texture issue was, but Smoking at 190° will cause fat to render out giving you a mealy dry sausage. try to stay under 170-175°
Thank you. The texture was very soft, almost paste like. I kind of understand what you are saying about the temp and dry, but this seems a little different then cooking out the fat.

Mushy/pate is typically too low of IT in my experience. Verify thermometer is good, might be 10-15F high causing a low reading. Looks like no fat in that recipe except cheese?
Thanks. I know the temps were accurate, is 155 still too low? I did not ice bath either after cooking. The loin I used had a healthy fat cap on it and the venison bacon did not have the texture issue.

What kind of jalapenos are you using??? If they are pickled the vinegar could be causing you some issues.. If you are using pickled try and rinse/drain and pat them very dry before adding them in.

Reactions: zwiller
What kind of jalapenos are you using??? If they are pickled the vinegar could be causing you some issues.. If you are using pickled try and rinse/drain and pat them very dry before adding them in.
Thank you, the jalapeños were diced from the garden.

Venison and pork loin are both very lean, I'm going with lack of fat. Using pork butt rather than loin would have been an improvement but I don't
know if it would have been enough.

I agree with the lack of fat. Unless he is using the trim from whole pork loin. Is is back fat after all . but I dont think the lack of fat is what's causing his "mushy" textue. If any thing that would cause the complete opposite...

I agree with the lack of fat. Unless he is using the trim from whole pork loin. Is is back fat after all . but I dont think the lack of fat is what's causing his "mushy" textue. If any thing that would cause the complete opposite...
Thanks, it was only a lightly trimmed loin, fat cap still on and ground.

So with “lack of fat” an issue, what do you guys use or recommend for venison sausage? With the same ratio and meat to make the venison bacon I did not have the texture issue, with a purchased spice from the meat market and not stuffed. This is why I keep coming back to ingredients…

Are you seeing the whole grains of rice in the finished product ?? or could that be getting overcooked and mushy ?? Highly unlikely but it is on the list ...

Thank you. The texture was very soft, almost paste like. I kind of understand what you are saying about the temp and dry, but this seems a little different then cooking out the fat.
How much of the Liquid smoke, Soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce did you add?
And were the jalapenos fresh or pickled?

Reactions: Sowsage
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky