Help With Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin for life

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 21, 2007
Phila.
Ok the ribs were ok, the brisket was better, I talked to ya'll about he chicken and Damn it was good. Now I'm going to try pulled pork. The only problem is I don't really know what or how to do it. Oh I've read about everything in the books, but that's books. Now ya'll really seem to know your stuff. Would someone please help me get started. I'm not really even sure what kind of pork to buy. My biggest problem isI live in the dead center of Phila. I wanted to make some jerky a while back, went to the local Shoprite supermarket and when I asked for abrisket they looked at me like I was from another country. so I'll have to know just what to ask for. I may just try to find a local butcher. Thank you for any help I may get.

Sounds like your first step needs to be to see what cut of meat you can find. Most prefer Pork butts, but a picnic roast or picnic shoulder (same thing, different names)will work as well. Try to find a bone in pork butt. This will most likely be 6-8 lbs. If you can find them not "enhanced" that would be better. Now, off to the store with you.
icon_biggrin.gif

It may be called a Boston Butt or pork shoulder roast. Different names in different placed. If there is a Sam's club or something similar, you should be able to find a Boston Butt. I can also find them at a supermarket chain called Price Chopper.

Do you also want us to give you our tips and tricks for doing pulled pork, or have you been able to browse through the pork forum to pull it out yourself??

Any more questions - don't hesitate to ask. Hope this helps.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Boston butts are really pretty easy, must be because every time I've done them they have been great.

My first time I went to my local small groc store and asked for a "boston butt", they knew just what I was talk'n about. Like Ultramag said, they will be about 6-8#.

I think just about any rub will do. Go w/your favorite rub and put a plenty on, then just a bit more.

Anymore, I like to baste/spray w/apple juice on pork after the rub has "set"(about 2 hrs). I smoke w/fat up at first, then I may flip every hr when I baste.......just depends on my mood I guess.

You can foil or not foil at about 160-170*. I've done it both ways, like it both ways, but foil'n will speed up the cook.

When you take it out of the smoker, I take it to 205*(have even taken out at 185-190), wrap in foil and cover w/towel and let rest for at least an hour. Then towel off, open the foil and let it cool so it is easier to handle and pull. Get some gloves just for cooking if you can. I just use leather glove that I would use for work and they do fine.

Be sure to check out the pork forum for pull'n sauces and finishing sauces, that will also take it up a notch. But don't use it on all the meat, that way you can have a "taste test" to see if you like sauces on the meat. I usually get my taste'n done as I pull, I don't have enough self control to wait for supper.
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

Good luck, this is just what I do, add/subtract to it and you'll be happy.

Ok once again Ya'll got me biteing at the bit.I never thought about Sam's. I'm going to take Big Al's advice on the way to smoke it. I'm also going to use some of Tulsa Jeff's special rub. I will probably use the foil on this one If the cops see me sitting outside in tne early morning, I know they'll give me a hard time lol.Well thanks to every one AGAIN. I'm haveing the time of my life since I've met all of ya'll Thanks alot for all the help. Hopefully I'll spring for one of those new fangled digital cameras. It's starting to get hard finding Polaroid film any more.. Just kidding!!

I prefer pork butt for smoking. I rub it with honey mustard and my favorite rub. I go low and slow. Cabinet temp of 200, spritzing with apple juice to an internal temp of 190, wrap in foil with apple juice applied again, foil and wrap in towels for 2 hrs before pulling. I also smoke with the cap up to maintain moisture

you can smoke it fat cap down, and it will still be moist. the internal fat is what does that job.
i use boston butt for pulled pork. i take mine to 170°, foil, znd continue to 200-205°. let it rest for an hour or so, then let the pulling begin. i have found, a couple of times, boneless boston butts, and they work just fine. i cover it with mustard, and sprinkle on most of my spices (i mean most of the ones in my spice rack), then wrap with saran wrap over night in the fridge. then i smoke it the next day. i use apple juice mixed with red wine vinegar for my mop. i use oak for heat and mesquite for smoke. i run my smoker in the 225-240° range. i use fla jeff's finishing sauce. makes for good sammies.

I did a picnic shoulder ( 11#er) for my first smoke with my ECB elec. Gourmet. I used Earl Campbells' rub after removing ham from the plastic wrapper. I did not marinate at all. After letting it come to about room temp, I put it to smoke with the fat cap up. The ECB kept a steady temp of 225# (+ or - 5 #). In about 3 hrs. I mopped with Jeffs butter/pepper recipe. I took it off after 3 turn-over bastings every hour (at 175# or so). I let it set for an hour, then deboned it. It was truly wonderful. It has been stated many times on this forum that pork shoulders are the easiest meat to smoke, this is truth. Good luck from a fellow beginner.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks for the extra info Chris. As for the mop would you suggest about 25% red wine vinegar and 75% apple juice or is that too much vinegar? I'm glad to see you use mesquite. being from TX. that's all that I'm use to, I've read that a lot of folks don't like mesquite, they say that it's too strong. I also just learned from another thread that I have propably have been using too much smoke. Dang I love this fourm. Ya'll will be getting Thank You notes from all of my neighbors.

i take a 6oz can of apple juice, and put it in one one of those $0.97 squirt bottles from wally world, then just pour in some vinegar. i don't measure it. i love the smell of burning mesquite, and the taste of it even more. my bil will only use 100% mesquite when he bbq's. i do all my meats fat cap down, and they are all moist when done.

I have sprayed with a mix of 3 parts apple juice with 1 part bourbon, OR a mix of 3 parts apple juice with 1 part Captain Morgan's Original Spiced rum with good results. (I use one or the other - not both) The sugars in the juice and booze carmelize and add to the bark.

Hope this helps.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

I like the boneless butts from costco. They're kinda split so you can rub on the outside and inside. Try using different woods or mixes of different woods. I smoked a pork lion last week with a mix of apple and hickory 50/50. Man it was goood!

Thanks again Debi, I don't think there's a super walmart here. But some mentioned Sam's. I've been there, so that'll probably be where I'll go. I've seen a little butcher shop in my travels maybe I'll stop in there also. I'm just afraid They'll try to rip me off. I think I'm going to have to but my smoking off untill Sun. It's going to be raining Sat. HHHMMMMM if I put the smoker under my neighbors awning it'll be out of the rain. LOL boy won't he be surprized when he looks out the window.

HEY SMOKINFORLIFE, THE PATHMARK MARKET HAS BRISKET JUST ABOUT EVERY TIME I GO THERE. I GET MY PORK BUTT FROM BJ'S CLUB. THEY COME TWO IN A VACUUM PACK. ONE IS USUALLY AROUND 7lbs AND THE OTHER AROUND 5lbs.

Camocook, I was really close to the bj's on Redline & Blvd. I stopped in Food basic's for a few things and picked up a 8lb shoulder for 4.11. It was one of them today only specials. But I'll keep that in mind. I'm hoping to smoke it tomorrow if the rain stops.

HEY SMOKIN FOR LIFE, I WENT TO BJ'S THIS AFTERNOOON. THEY HAD LARGER BUTTS THAN I HAVE SEEN BEFORE. I GOT TWO ABOUT 7.5lbs EACH. ONE FOR TOMORROW AND ONE FOR LATER. ONE RACK OF RIBS TOMORROW ALSO.GOT THE WOMAN MIXIN UP A RUB FROM THE DINOSAUR BAR B QUE BOOK. THEY'RE FROM SYRACUSE NY. A ROAD HOUSE THEY SAY. BOASTING BIKERS ,BLUES AND BAR B QUES. TRIED A FEW THINGS FROM THIS BOOK AND WAS NEVER DISAPPOINTED. I'M SURE YOU NY. STATE SMOKERS HEARD OF IT. I WAS NEVER THERE BUT MY WOMAN WAS AND SHE ONLY TALKS GOOD ABOUT IT.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky