Help with Chipotle sauce/glaze

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shinny

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Harford County, Maryland
Hi all,

I've searched and read almost every thread that comes up with a search of 'Chipotle' with no luck. I'm trying to find a happy medium with my family and a chipotle sauce and/or glaze. I like spicy stuff; however, my wife and kids don't. They love the chipotle flavor, just not the heat. Does anyone have a good recipe that would help and they would share? It's mainly for pork chops and chicken.

Thanks,

Shinny

I would start with smoking a bunch of jalapenos or poblanos for about and hour

at 200 or so - until they are wrinkly.  They freeze well.

They absorb a whole bunch of smoke.

Then remove the seeds and chop finely and put into a BBQ sauce.

In a medium saucepan -

Saute 4 slices thick bacon .

Then add an onion, 3 garlic cloves, minced.

28 oz. ketchup

1/4 cup dijon

1/4 cup brown sugar

3 tb honey

1/4 c red wine vinegar

2 tb apple cider vinegar

2 tsp worcestershire

1 tsp salt, pepper, cayenne

juice of 1 lemon

Add your smoked jalapenos to taste, could also add chipotle powder.

Heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Omit the cayenne if too spicy - good luck.  I probably would start w/ 2 jalapenos

and see if that's enough smoke for you.

Mark

Hi all,

I've searched and read almost every thread that comes up with a search of 'Chipotle' with no luck. I'm trying to find a happy medium with my family and a chipotle sauce and/or glaze. I like spicy stuff; however, my wife and kids don't. They love the chipotle flavor, just not the heat. Does anyone have a good recipe that would help and they would share? It's mainly for pork chops and chicken.

Thanks,

Shinny
You also have another option...Make a sauce that you are found of and then make another sauce your family will like.

Two birds with one stone so to speak.

I have four or five different sauces in my refrigerator at all times.   Keeps the members of the family happy as well as myself.

Good Luck,  John

Hi there,

How about this simple one... Has chipotle taste along with sweetness of apricots and honey. Great for poultry but will work with pork as well.

4 tbsp apricot marmalade or jam

4 tbsp honey

1 tbsp chipotle paste

1/2 cup your favorite BBQ sauce

Whisk it all together and baste the meat 20-30 min before it is ready.

Hope it works for you :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky