"Help wanted" venison jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vikkip

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 24, 2014
SE Michigan
I have a nice batch of venison to turn into other food forms. I have snack sticks and my favorite smoked sausage recipe underway, but I saved some nice, tender pieces of rump with which to make jerky. It's all trimmed, defatted, silverskin removed, and ready to slice. What I seek is a "general cure" recipe that will provide a safe, balanced, and consistent cure, and I can add sugar and spice to small batches of the cured meat before smoking. No Tenderquick based cures, please.

.5 cup Worcestershire sauce
.25 cup soy sauce
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Paprika
Black pepper
.5 tsp curing salt
1-2 pound of venison

I generally don't measure the powder stuff. I put the meat in the sauce and sprinkle the powder stuff over and mix it up really good. Refrigerate over might. I normally put it in my dehydrator, but tonight after work it goes in my smoker. My Wal-Mart doesn't carry curing salt, but you can get it at Academy Sports or other local grocery.

Last edited:
that sounds tasty and simple, thanks. I have six pounds of just-sliced jerky strips so I'll mix up the spices and adjust to taste, then add the adjusted amount of cure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky