HELP!!! Turkey for tomorrow starting now.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

allstar898

Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
Houston Texas
Hey guys, my gf told her parents about how great all the food I have been smoking was and somehow this turned into okay well have him do one for us lunch tomorrow.  I have done a bunch of chickens but never a Turkey and I would assume that it needs to brine for at least a day, but I don't have that luxury right now.  Thinking I can run and grab a thawed out turkey and get a brine together for at least 12 hours.  (Brine suggestions?)  Also I always inject my chickens with an apple juice, brown sugar, butter, rub mixture, is this recommended for Turkeys?  If I do inject, should I keep the temp up say 325-350?

Thanks guys,

Bruce

Don't worry. Yes, fresh turkey, brine it for as long as you can. There are a bazillion recipes here. Choose what you like in flavor and go with it. I use on with bourbon, orange, garlic. My wife got a pre-brined from whole foods. Not my first choice, but whatever. I have done both injected and not. Both versions are good. Keep your smoking chamber moist. And don't open it a bunch of times. If you've smoked anything of size, you got it. Don't use an over powering wood. Keep some foil handy towards the end to keep the ends from getting to dry. And remember, IT WILL BE DARK IN COLOR on the skin and pink inside from the smoke. Don't let them freak out. You got this!

I only ever brine mine for 12 - 15 hours. I feel like if I do it too long, it starts to get a lunch meat consistency to it. You should be ok with 12 hours.

My Brine:

Onions

Garlic

Peppercorns

Citrus - Oranges, Grapefruit, lemon, limes - whatever you like

Bay leaves

I keep an eye on the temp of the breast, and foil it as it gets close to finished, while I wait for the thigh to finish up.

Just think of it as a big chicken and do what you always do. If you inject you can certainly get by with a shorter brine time. As long as you don't overcook it, it'll be moist and tender. Your thoughts on 325˚-350˚ are right on. a 12-15 pound bird should be done in around 4 hours.

Yes, I agree with jweller, 12-15 is plenty. When I wrote as long as you can, I meant in your situation. Too long is not necessarily better

Thanks guys, water pan, 325-350, IT 165 on the thigh?, heading to Central Market now will have to post some pics I always take them but never post.

Don't worry. Yes, fresh turkey, brine it for as long as you can. There are a bazillion recipes here. Choose what you like in flavor and go with it. I use on with bourbon, orange, garlic. My wife got a pre-brined from whole foods. Not my first choice, but whatever. I have done both injected and not. Both versions are good. Keep your smoking chamber moist. And don't open it a bunch of times. If you've smoked anything of size, you got it. Don't use an over powering wood. Keep some foil handy towards the end to keep the ends from getting to dry. And remember, IT WILL BE DARK IN COLOR on the skin and pink inside from the smoke. Don't let them freak out. You got this!
I ended up with the pre-brined kosher turkey, (also whole foods) would you still brine it with some additional flavors or just concentrate on the rub/injection?

Most turkeys come "pre-brined" to some degree or another now a-days. I still brine mine for additional flavor, I just don't use as much salt.

This year I did 1quart low sodium chicken broth, 1 gallon cranberry juice, 4 mandarin oranges (sliced in half, squeeze, toss in), 1/2 C kosher salt, 1/2 C black pepper, 1/4 C Tony Chacharros Creaole seasoning, 4 heaping Tbs. poultry seasoning, 1/3 C honey, and about 1/3 C of a pre-mixed savory herb seasoning. After that was all mixed together I added about 2 more gallons of cold water.

It's makes a nice herb flavor with that light citrus undertones. I will also melt a stick of butter and mix it with some poultry seasoning and rub it under and on top of the skin.

The brine I use every year with GREAT success. Its always moist and juicy too! 

Brine:

1 cup of water

1 cup of brown sugar

3-4 oranges sliced in half and squeezed into the water

2-3 lemons(same as the oranges)

FRESH rosemary, thyme, and sage.

Throw everything into the brine and depending on where you live just stick it outside or in a fridge to keep it cool for 12-24 hours.

In this case 12 hours. Before you put the turkey on the smoker stuff the oranges and lemons into the turkey along with the spices. 

Cooks up beautifully and tastes amazing. 

I would not brine it again. Too much. If I remember from a few years ago, the brine from WF was a bit "clovie". So I would inject any other flavors. I am going with a simple rub and maybe some Sam adams winter lager to spray on at the end, and some for drinking. Rub under the skin if you do it. Good luck, have fun!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky