Help request-Equipment change

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mick7607

Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Laurens,S.C.
I have been using a CharGriller duo w/SFB for some time now with decent results. I've been considering a change in equipment. My current setup is OK, but it's not very fuel efficient, requires constant temp supervision, and is just plain too big. Thinking of going with a WSM. I need input from you guys. Should I make that change? I'm a weekend smoker and I generally never cook for more than 6-8 people. Other equipment suggestions? Not stuck on WSB just yet. Thanks for your advice.

I would consider an MES 40 due to your situation you stated above, but there are soooo many other options.

Bearcarver

If you want something more fuel efficient, you will want something that has/keeps a good/great seal. Anything from 14g steel (I hear they're ok) to 1/4" to kamado style cookers. I haven't cooked on a Weber performer, but quite a few say it's pretty fuel efficient as well. 

Since going from CG to kamado style, I actually cook more on it, because it uses very little lump. Baking, pizzas and all sorts of dinners are done. I very rarely use the stove any more. 

If you want to go propane/electric etc there's also quite a few options. 

I agree with Bearcarver...

I have the MES 40" with the 1200 watt element and love it.  I also use the A-MAZE-N-SMOKER with it and the two work together wonderfully...

Many of our members have the WSM and really like them. I would say get whatever type you think you'd like the best whether it be electric, propane, of charcoal

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky