Help! Pork Butt!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schondel

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Colorado
I think I might have messed up my Pork Butt.  I got just under 10# of pork cushion this weekend and it turned out to be 4 separate pieces that were avg 2# each.  I put a rub on each one and wrapped in plastic overnight and put in MES30 on Sunday afternoon.  I am having issues with the MES meat probe not having accurate temp so I put a food network probe through the vent and put it in the smallest piece of meat.  I obviously didn't read the whole ecourse on pork butt and thought the temp should be 160.  So I pulled them out at 160 wrapped in foil.  Then I read more and saw that it is suppose to be about 200 degrees.  They have been in the fridge overnight wrapped in foil.  Can I put them back in and bring to 200?  I need suggestions!!

Thanks,

Julie

Julie, 160* is safe to eat... 180*  is right around the temp most shoot for when they intend to served the butt "sliced".

If you were wanting to pull the pork butt, 195* - 210* is the IT you should remove it at.

I think you should be fine to reheat it back up to pulling temp if you like (smoker or oven).

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Yes, definitely you can, are you going to pull them?  The Pork Cushion is from the side of the pork arm shoulder, not the butt:

It is a leaner cut of meat. Well marbled like this it could pull ok.

You can definitely reheat and try to pull them at 200°, you may want to foil at 150° with some juice to keep it moist, though.

Thank you, Thank you!!!

It tastes good, but I really wanted to "pull" it so I will put it back in in the foil with the juices and see what happens!

Thanks!!

Julie

Thanks all of you! Just wanted to give you an update.  I put them all back in the MES wrapped in the foil with all the juices and smokes them another 3 hours to get them up to 205.  It worked wonderfully!!! They came out tender and soft and good flavor! I took a pic and will try to post later.

Thanks again!

Julie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky