Help on achieving a solid bed of coals?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Paulie Walnuts 440

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 17, 2020
Hey I noticed my bed isn't as well sustained throughout long cooks. I see some folks who light a big fire in the beginning then let it all burn down and then your coals will be more substantiated?

Hey I noticed my bed isn't as well sustained throughout long cooks. I see some folks who light a big fire in the beginning then let it all burn down and then your coals will be more substantiated?
Yes, for a deep nice bed of coals you need a lot of mass, charcoal won't build a heavy bed as well as actual wood as it is very dry and already 1/2 burned, the bigger the pieces of wood the heavier the bed will be when it is burned down. Use larger pieces of solid dry hardwood like hickory or apple, oak is ok too but I personally don't prefer it over hickory or apple.
I use short blocks cut 3 or 4 inches long out of standard fire wood sized splits, so you end up with an average of like 3"x4" nuggets. Chimney up a bed of lump or briquettes and then add a full layer of nuggets on top. Let them burn down till the smoke stops and you will have a bed that will last 3x longer then just straight charcoal.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Many pit masters with larger rigs use a "fire engine" this is just a firebox that reduces wood to coals to be put into use in the BBQ pit.

Like a lot of folks I'll use a chimney of charcoal with some wood on top to get some coals (any kind of hardwood). But keep in mind that "bed of coals" isn't going to last. It's really only good for getting your next split burning. Then you get more coals. Then you add a split. Etc., Etc, Etc....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky