Help me pic a cut, please??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pick my Wagyu cut

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigheaded

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Philippines
I found out recently a high end meat market opened up in my town (Riverside) Prior to this, if I was lucky I could find some Prime at Ralphs. This place has Australian & Japanese Wagyu and carries stuff from Snake River Farms. Now right now I don't exactly have Wagyu money, but without driving 40+ miles or ordering off the net. There was no source for it near me. So I feel like I have to go get something. And aside from Wagyu their selection of Prime cuts is mind-blowing, especially next to what I can get anywhere else close. So I know this is a preference thing, but I can't figure out what to buy. At Ralphs it's easy, the best looking Rib Eye or Porterhouse they have. A good steak's my go to, but this place has things I've never seen, or even heard of. Tasajo Wagyu? If I buy this I'll have to pay a bill late lol.

I know there are people here who've probably had the entire spectrum of Wagyu cuts, I'm curious to see what some people's favorites are. I know I couldn't go wrong with anything there, but I'm overwhelmed by all the choices. A Wagyu Tomahawk would be to die for, but so would one of those huge Dyno Beef Ribs, which I've never had. *IF* people respond here I'll go with what gets the most suggestions. Anything outside of the Dyno Rib I'd Sous Vide and finish on my Gravity 560.

So, what should I buy?

Some Wagyu I've seen are just too fatty for me. I'ld say go for the beef ribs. You can't go wrong with ribs.

I've never had Wagyu like you used to be no place around to get it other than having it shipped. I also have never had a tomahawk steak don't see them around here either but eventually I will buy one but it won't be wagyu at the price of wagyu I wouldn't want to pay for the extra bone. Think I'd have to try a wagyu ribeye first thing

Some Wagyu I've seen are just too fatty for me. I'ld say go for the beef ribs. You can't go wrong with ribs.

Yeah a lot of people say Waygu's super rich and can be overwhelming, but the ribs I was looking at are Waygu too, so they might be just as fatty. You are correct tho ribs always are great. I suppose if I get ribs I don't have to eat an entire 1 in a single sitting. I probably should have asked about a good side dish to make that would help cut thru the richness of all the fat. I typically make 5 cheese mac and cheese or loaded mashed potatoes.

I gotta go ribeye. I love a good ribeye.

Ribeye's my go to steak, last one I had was Choice and I Sous Vide then seared it, and it was awesome. It was so good I'm almost scared to try a Wagyu one because I know it'll be in a different galaxy. lol

I've never had Wagyu like you used to be no place around to get it other than having it shipped. I also have never had a tomahawk steak don't see them around here either but eventually I will buy one but it won't be wagyu at the price of wagyu I wouldn't want to pay for the extra bone. Think I'd have to try a wagyu ribeye first thing

I'll have so many things shipped, but for some reason I've never done it with meat. Not that I haven't wanted to, but I usually buy 1 or maybe 2 steaks. Buying steak online unless you're buying a lot, the shipping cost ends up killing it for me lol. A single steak for $75 with $30 for shipping's kinda hard to swallow. You're right about the Tomahawk, plus I think the appeal for those is you go to a 5 star steak house, order it. Then the head chef himself comes out to your table and cuts it off the bone for you with some fancy ass knife. At least that's how I've seen it done on the YT videos. At home I'd just be paying a lot more for a big bone.

Yeah a lot of people say Waygu's super rich and can be overwhelming, but the ribs I was looking at are Waygu too, so they might be just as fatty. You are correct tho ribs always are great. I suppose if I get ribs I don't have to eat an entire 1 in a single sitting. I probably should have asked about a good side dish to make that would help cut thru the richness of all the fat. I typically make 5 cheese mac and cheese or loaded mashed potatoes.
I've never had wagyu, but I'm definitely thinking a more acidic route with a side. Maybe just a tossed salad with a nice vinaigrette or brussels sprouts with a balsamic glaze.

No need to get to fancy when you're already working with a meat like this.

Brother, I wish I could help, but I’m overwhelmed just looking at that list and have never had any of these! I’ve seen Kobe on TV and have some Wagyo tallow🤣 if I were you I’d go with the Master Kobe first, just because it sounds awesome then once that’s paid off try the Tasajo Wagyu🤣 I’d stay away from the bone in to avoid paying extra. Cant wait to see which way you go!

Truly based on your budget wjy not just get some prime Dino rib? I guarantee you that prime plate rib will be phenomenally beefy and marbled. You can always buy the Wagyu when it’s more practical.

Truly based on your budget wjy not just get some prime Dino rib? I guarantee you that prime plate rib will be phenomenally beefy and marbled. You can always buy the Wagyu when it’s more practical.
🤣I’d guess for most of us here Wagyu will never be practical! But, I am playing the lottery at some point, and if I win, Wagyu all around!

🤣I’d guess for most of us here Wagyu will never be practical! But, I am playing the lottery at some point, and if I win, Wagyu all around!
I bought it a couple times on super specials from SNF. I got 20 lbs of their beef cuts which is trimmings from tenderloin, ribeye and strip. Paid $200 for 20 lbs shipped. I’d do that again. Thanks me other time they had a deal on filets. I’m all about the deal on it lol. If I wasn’t deal shopping it would be boneless ribeye for me, no chance I’d pay those prices for a bone in.

First off I'll say that I've never had any Waygu, but if it was in my budget, I'd opt for the dino ribs. Tomahawk of any grade is just too much money for extra bone that adds nothing but looks to a ribeye. The A5 is something that I'd love to try it and I'm sure the flavor would be off the charts, but still way out of my budget. I'm not sure what cut of beef the Tasajo Wagyu or Master Kobe are...

Yes Wagyu is expensive. It will come down to, do you want to splurge one time or not? The SRF Ribeye is a safe choice. You know how to cook them and probably have your favorite method. Good chance to compare too!

If I were saving for a splurge paying full price I’d wait until I could afford one of the legit purebred A5 or better grades. SRF is good for sure but is not full blood Wagyu but rather hybridized stock. The difference between their and A5 in terms of marbling is vast. That’s not to take away from SRF as it’s tasty.

You speak sensibly, those look like nothing else, I mean even if it's 10x better, I've had a Ribeye, I've never had a Dyno rib. The closest was I bought some what I thought were meaty Short Ribs, which cooked down to like 10% meat and the rest bone. Was delicious but it was literally a few bites of actual meat lol.

First off I'll say that I've never had any Waygu, but if it was in my budget, I'd opt for the dino ribs. Tomahawk of any grade is just too much money for extra bone that adds nothing but looks to a ribeye. The A5 is something that I'd love to try it and I'm sure the flavor would be off the charts, but still way out of my budget. I'm not sure what cut of beef the Tasajo Wagyu or Master Kobe are...

I don't know about Tasajo or Master Kobe at all, but they're expensive and apparently Tasajo is more rare to find than even A5. I should probably send Guga a message on Youtube. That guy has eaten everything out there. I know with my Krogers pallet, any Wagyu cut they sell would be a night and day step up.

Yes Wagyu is expensive. It will come down to, do you want to splurge one time or not? The SRF Ribeye is a safe choice. You know how to cook them and probably have your favorite method. Good chance to compare too!

I see the A5 got a vote, I think it might be best to start small

I want to splurge, but I also think maybe going from a steak at Krogers to an A5 might be too big of a jump for my 1st splurge, not $$$ wise but it could be so rich my pallet might short circuit and I wouldn't be able to fully appericate what I'm eating. Kinda like I use to drive a 2002 4 cylinder Camry, which was dog slow. I sold it and got a Sky Redline, which was like a Lambo compared to it. Wasn't fast compared to something like a 305 or Hellcat, but to me it was mind blowing. Krogers to A5 might be like if I had sold my Camry and bought a Ford Cobra or Challenger Hellcat. My Redline was almost too fast of an upgrade. Maybe if I go with a regular Waygu 1st, then when I have an A5, which I will for sure one day now I have a local spot to get it. I'll be able to understand the true difference. I watch Guga videos on YT and when they eat A5, even though they've had it countless times, they always comment about how it's so rich they can't eat more then a few bites.

If I were saving for a splurge paying full price I’d wait until I could afford one of the legit purebred A5 or better grades. SRF is good for sure but is not full blood Wagyu but rather hybridized stock. The difference between their and A5 in terms of marbling is vast. That’s not to take away from SRF as it’s tasty.

I see A5's ahead in the poll, but I think that could be due to my wording of the question. "What should I buy?" I wonder if I had asked "what cut would YOU buy?" the voting would have probably turned out differently lol.

I'm think I gotta go with Dyno ribs to start, if they have Prime awesome. If all they have's Waygu, so be it. I'll just not pay a bill on time and have the best ribs ever. I also think ribs would be the easiest to cook. I just realized today I don't have any probes for my Inkbird, somebody tossed them it looks like :( So if I got a steak I'd have to cook it like I know how to 100% nail a steak without using a probe. Which I definitely don't, so I'd be terrified that I'd overcook it. Sucks when it happens, but not really a big deal with an $11 steak from Ralphs. If I overcooked a Wagyu Ribeye I'd probably start crying.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky