Help I have been challenged! This is a tough one

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimpam

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 14, 2010
Benbrook, TX
Ok I am with family in Pagosa Springs CO. My brother in law is tired of my bragging about my smoking skills and has challenged me to grill something for the 9 of us. Here's the deal - he only has a small gas grill at his condo - and we are at 7000 feet altitude. He said he would take me to the local butcher to get me any kind of meat I want. Any ideas?? I live in Texas and at home I would have a bunch of options to smoke or even grill. So - any good ideas? Would prefer no chicken. Maybe cedar plank salmon.? Ugh!

Since brother-in-law is buying..... go for the prime rib!
biggrin.gif

Mike

Take an A Maze N pellet smoker with you and smoke a tri-tip. It's surprising how many people have never tried it, & it's always a success when I introduce someone to it. It wouldn't take much space or time.

Unfortunately we are already here!

I like the prime rib idea but again he only has a gas grill - smoker no prob but gas grill I would just b wasting money ;):biggrin:

I did a prime rib (boneless rib-eye roast) on my gas grill, though not a lot of smoke (SS box with apple chips), but still a very nice piece of meat!

A-MAZE-N smoker in my future

Sorry for the delay on an update - went the really, really easy route and did a nice size Tri-Tip.    Spoke with the butcher about cooking variations at altitude, and pretty much the only problem I would run into at 8k feet was that the grill would not get as hot as it would at lower altitudes.   No problem there.    Rubbed it with a rub the butcher made for me on site (he was great) which consisted of seasoned salt, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and cumin (I think).

It came out DELICIOUS!!  There was not a crumb left - with many comments of "I've never had a tri-tip" and "man you really do know how to grill".   Next time my brother in law is in town, he is providing the meat for my smoker which will cost him :)

thx for all the comments and help - I didn't go Prime Rib simply because it was too freaking cold! About 7 degrees hehe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky