Help - I Bought The Wrong Pork Item

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

toystry

Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
So today I bought a 18.35lb boneless Pork Shoulder from COSTCO vice a Pork Butt (that was a bad idea I've come to learn) and have a few questions for the experts here.........which everyone is an expert compared to me, as this will be the VERY FIRST TIME I will have smoked in my life.

1.  If my math is correct, 18.35lbs of pork will yield 72 servings right (1/4lb per person)?  With that, how much of that 18.35lbs is cooked down in FAT?

2.  If my math is correct, 18.35lbs of pork "as a single piece" would take 27.5 hrs to cook (in a perfect world with no plateaus).  If I cut the shoulder in half, and cook the two half together on the two different grates, is the cooking time still the same, or is it reduced to half (13.7 hrs total for both pieces since I cut the shoulder in half) - its a dumb question, but at least I had the balls to ask it, lol.

3.  Would it make more sense to vacuum seal the other half of the shoulder (uncooked) and freeze it for another BBQ event or should I cook both and vacuum seal the 2nd portion of shoulder (I don't need this much meat and screwed the pooch and got way too big of a piece of meat - live and learn).

4.  Will a single basket of charcoal filled to the brim be enough to do a 13.7hr cook or will I need to add charcoal (Of note, I'll be using a CyberQ BBQ Guru)

5.  How many hickory chunks will I need to use initially when getting it to temperature, and how many more pieces should I add during the 13.7hrs it will take to cook?

6.  Aside from getting the WSM up to temperature (225-240), how long should I wait before putting the pork shoulder on?  I keep seeing discussions about blue smoke vice white smoke (white smoke being bad)....how obvious is the white from blue, is it easy to discern to the naked eye and if so, how long does it take before you start to see blue smoke so you can put the pork on the smoker?

7.  If I decide to cut this shoulder into 1/3 portions, is there a right or wrong way to cut it into portions?

I'll have more questions, but these are the ones causing me immediate concern as my plan is to have food ready on Sunday (this Sunday) by 12pm for roughly 10-12 people.

So today I bought a 18.35lb boneless Pork Shoulder from COSTCO vice a Pork Butt (that was a bad idea I've come to learn) and have a few questions for the experts here.........which everyone is an expert compared to me, as this will be the VERY FIRST TIME I will have smoked in my life. Have you opened it up? Are you sure it isn't two pieces? Shoulder will work just as well.

1.  If my math is correct, 18.35lbs of pork will yield 72 servings right (1/4lb per person)?  With that, how much of that 18.35lbs is cooked down in FAT? Sorry unsure of the yield. I know there are a couple of threads on the site that explain this in great detail.  

2.  If my math is correct, 18.35lbs of pork "as a single piece" would take 27.5 hrs to cook (in a perfect world with no plateaus).  If I cut the shoulder in half, and cook the two half together on the two different grates, is the cooking time still the same, or is it reduced to half (13.7 hrs total for both pieces since I cut the shoulder in half) - its a dumb question, but at least I had the balls to ask it, lol. Smaller pieces will cook quicker, only use temp as a guide. I cook pork butt/shoulder at 250 - 260. Different meats will cook differently. 

3.  Would it make more sense to vacuum seal the other half of the shoulder (uncooked) and freeze it for another BBQ event or should I cook both and vacuum seal the 2nd portion of shoulder (I don't need this much meat and screwed the pooch and got way too big of a piece of meat - live and learn).  Either way works. Personally I would cook both and vacuum seal any leftovers. I reheat my leftovers by putting them in a pot of cool water and bringing it up to a simmer. It doesn't really lose any flavor. Unless you want to cook it up at another time then freeze it raw. 

4.  Will a single basket of charcoal filled to the brim be enough to do a 13.7hr cook or will I need to add charcoal (Of note, I'll be using a CyberQ BBQ Guru) One load should be fine this time of year. Unless it really cold, windy or rainy. 

5.  How many hickory chunks will I need to use initially when getting it to temperature, and how many more pieces should I add during the 13.7hrs it will take to cook? I use four or five depending on size of chunk. It depends on how smokey a flavor profile you want.

6.  Aside from getting the WSM up to temperature (225-240), how long should I wait before putting the pork shoulder on?  I keep seeing discussions about blue smoke vice white smoke (white smoke being bad)....how obvious is the white from blue, is it easy to discern to the naked eye and if so, how long does it take before you start to see blue smoke so you can put the pork on the smoker?  Again numerous answers to this question. I wait until I get it to my desired temp and then put the meat on.Billowing white smoke is very easy to see. Thin blue smoke at times can be difficult do see. 

7.  If I decide to cut this shoulder into 1/3 portions, is there a right or wrong way to cut it into portions? I don't really think so, but I've never cut one before cooking. 

I'll have more questions, but these are the ones causing me immediate concern as my plan is to have food ready on Sunday (this Sunday) by 12pm for roughly 10-12 people. I hate overnight cooks so I would cook it on Saturday, and reheat it on Sunday. 

I'm sure someone else will chime in and offer more suggestions/answers. Good luck hope it turns out well.

Chris

So today I bought a 18.35lb boneless Pork Shoulder from COSTCO vice a Pork Butt (that was a bad idea I've come to learn) and have a few questions for the experts here.........which everyone is an expert compared to me, as this will be the VERY FIRST TIME I will have smoked in my life.
Nothing wrong with a good pork shoulder.
As already stated, "Are you sure that it's not two shoulders in that package?"

1.  If my math is correct, 18.35lbs of pork will yield 72 servings right (1/4lb per person)?  With that, how much of that 18.35lbs is cooked down in FAT?
Not counting trimming before cooking, you typically lose approx 25%-30% of the raw weight on cuts of pork such as Butts/Shoulders.
You won't lose as much if it's already boneless, so figure an 85%-90% yield. That's 15.5lb-16.5lb
1/4lb servings is pretty conservative, some people will want more and/or seconds, a plate might get dropped.
Instead of 1/4lb servings, 1/3lb per person or more is realistic.

2.  If my math is correct, 18.35lbs of pork "as a single piece" would take 27.5 hrs to cook (in a perfect world with no plateaus).  If I cut the shoulder in half, and cook the two half together on the two different grates, is the cooking time still the same, or is it reduced to half (13.7 hrs total for both pieces since I cut the shoulder in half) - its a dumb question, but at least I had the balls to ask it, lol.
Yes, smaller pieces will cook quicker.
I prefer mine cooked a little lower-n-slower at 225°-240° to an IT range of 190°-210°.
Time is a generalization, always cook using Internal Temp (IT) and Probing to ascertain doneness/tenderness.
Probing is using such as a thin kabob skewer, ice pick, or meat thermometer probe to 'probe' the tenderness of the meat.
It should probe butter tender, penetrate the interior of the meat like warm butter.

3.  Would it make more sense to vacuum seal the other half of the shoulder (uncooked) and freeze it for another BBQ event or should I cook both and vacuum seal the 2nd portion of shoulder (I don't need this much meat and screwed the pooch and got way too big of a piece of meat - live and learn).
I'd cook it all and freeze what I don't use.
4.  Will a single basket of charcoal filled to the brim be enough to do a 13.7hr cook or will I need to add charcoal (Of note, I'll be using a CyberQ BBQ Guru)
5.  How many hickory chunks will I need to use initially when getting it to temperature, and how many more pieces should I add during the 13.7hrs it will take to cook?
6.  Aside from getting the WSM up to temperature (225-240), how long should I wait before putting the pork shoulder on?  I keep seeing discussions about blue smoke vice white smoke (white smoke being bad)....how obvious is the white from blue, is it easy to discern to the naked eye and if so, how long does it take before you start to see blue smoke so you can put the pork on the smoker?
As long as the smoke isn't thick billowing white/grey smoke, if the temp is steady it's time to cook.
Thin blue smoke is the epitome of desirability, then there is the in between smoke which serves just fine.
Don't worry about perfection, relax and enjoy the cook.

7.  If I decide to cut this shoulder into 1/3 portions, is there a right or wrong way to cut it into portions?

I'll have more questions, but these are the ones causing me immediate concern as my plan is to have food ready on Sunday (this Sunday) by 12pm for roughly 10-12 people.
Always leave yourself several more hours than you think you need.
One piece of meat could take 12 hours and a similar piece could take 16 hours.
Ideally you'll also want to let it rest for an hour or two before pulling, wrap in foil, wrap in clean towels and place in a cooler.
If done too early you can 'Hold' some meats like this, or in an 170° oven for several hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky