• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Help FIREBOX size

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nate07

Smoke Blower
Jul 3, 2017
I am in the process of building a cold smoker.. I am using the basic charcoal grill (about a $20 grill.. I want to add A firebox off to the side.. But I'm having trouble getting the size of my firebox.. My smoke box dimensions are 20W/20L/14H.. When I put that in the calculator I come up with an 1866 cubic inch fire box.. Can someone give me the dimensions in inches of my side, top, and back of my fire box

Last edited:

joe black

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Jan 25, 2015
It's just a matter of math and personal preference. One combination that I came up with was 16x12x10. All you need to do is work out what works best for you.

nate07

Smoke Blower
Jul 3, 2017
The math I come up with shows a 13"L/12"W/12"H.. But I may reconsider.. Your size looks more inline with what I'm trying to do

ahumadora

Smoking Fanatic
Aug 28, 2015
Go much bigger on the firebox for something that small.    Make it 50% of the cooker volume.

My 2 cents

nate07

Smoke Blower
Jul 3, 2017
I am doing the build for cold smoking only.. It will be similar to the mailbox mod.. Since I'm just going to be using it as a cold smoker can I use a mailbox?? Or something similar? Since the box will never really be getting hot?? Looking forward to any input!! I know there is a lot on this site!!

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Soooo, are you building a firebox or not ???   Only running an AMNPS or AMNTS ??

nate07

Smoke Blower
Jul 3, 2017
I was thinking about building a box.. But then I started thinking.. I have 3 smokers and none of them are strictly cold smoke units.. So I have decided to dedicate this build to being strictly for my cold smokes.. I will be using the AMNPS.. Sorry about the confusion, I was actually undecided before starting this thread

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
Clicky