Help! Bitter taste!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
grizzog- Go light on the wood. I have a large smoker and normally use just 2 ounces.  It is roughly the same size as the model 3.  The chamber will fill with smoke, lots of it as the draw to exhaust is minimal.  You get a large chunk or two of wood smoldering and smoking inside, it will build up with only one place to go and it is not in any hurry. It lingers and the small particles in the smoke impart the flavor we all love.  But too much is a bad thing.

On wood. Buying in the big box stores is economical.  But what was the source of the wood?  How was it stored before being bagged and shipped?  Was it sap or heartwood? Lots of variables.

I would only buy wood from a reputable source.  Try Marks Tree Farm.  Another source is the maker of the Big and Little Chief smokers.  There is also Smokin-it, Smokin Tex, and Cookshack.

And I would cut back on the amount of wood. If you get good results but weak smokiness, you can sauce it up for the meal and increase the wood on the next cook.

Good luck.

Thank you all for the advice.  This is quite an incredible forum.

Today I cleaned out the smoker a bit, and I'm running it empty for a few hours.  It's amazing how much smoke is coming out with nothing in there at all.  ...it's TBS too!

I'm going to do a few sausages tonight with .5oz of chips that I have.  I wrapped them in foil with some holes in the top so they don't fall through the firebox on the SI.  Good or bad on the foil?

In regards to rubs, the meatloaf was mixed with salt, pepper, and werchestershire (sp?).  

The ribs I use McCormick's Applewood Rub (I like it 
icon_redface.gif
  - not sure if that's blasphemy or not)

(And all the ingredients for those that need something to read: Sugar, Spices And Herbs (Including Chili Pepper And Red Pepper), Garlic, Salt, Maltodextrin, Onion, Silicon Dioxide (Added To Make Free Flowing), Tamarind Extract, Molasses, Apple Cider Vinegar, Natural Applewood Smoke Flavor, Malic Acid, And Caramel Color.)

Today I cleaned out the smoker a bit, and I'm running it empty for a few hours.  It's amazing how much smoke is coming out with nothing in there at all.  ...it's TBS too!

I'm going to do a few sausages tonight with .5oz of chips that I have.  I wrapped them in foil with some holes in the top so they don't fall through the firebox on the SI.  Good or bad on the foil?

In regards to rubs, the meatloaf was mixed with salt, pepper, and werchestershire (sp?).  

The ribs I use McCormick's Applewood Rub (I like it 
icon_redface.gif
  - not sure if that's blasphemy or not)

(And all the ingredients for those that need something to read: Sugar, Spices And Herbs (Including Chili Pepper And Red Pepper), Garlic, Salt, Maltodextrin, Onion, Silicon Dioxide (Added To Make Free Flowing), Tamarind Extract, Molasses, Apple Cider Vinegar, Natural Applewood Smoke Flavor, Malic Acid, And Caramel Color.)
Foiled chips with holes is fine, but you might want to look into getting a 5 X 8 AMNPS. It will give you up to 11 hours of perfect smoke without any bother, once you get it lit good, just sit back & relax.

I like many of things from "McCormick's", including their rubs, but they are a bit pricey. Only ever see small jars.

Bear

It sounds like your rub/seasoning is not the issue (unless your McCormicks has been in the cabinet well beyond its expiration date), but rather too much smoke volume for your air flow.  You'v'e gotten alot of great advice from guys who know plenty about your rig, so you should be good to go.  With any new smoker, its always trial and error until you get it dialed in.  Good Luck!

Red

grizzog, morning.... the smoke you see is creosote and other condensed particulate buildup being volatilized......

I have a smokin-3 and have used it 3 times, pork and chicken. I have used up to 3.4 oz of hickery/apple wood. No bitter taste. I am not very experienced at this point at smoking foods. Could the wood product have been somehow contaminated and was the smoker seasoned before use? Could there have been something in your seasoning or rub? Hope you solve this mystery.

Here is another link for wood.  I am  posting this ONLY because of this  statement they make on their site. I include it here.  The key word is pesticides.  I suppose growers would use pesticides to control pests in their orchards, and that could conceivably affect the wood.  Also deceased trees could be harvested for chips and chunks, as well as tree pruning. Always good to check the source and ask questions.  I hadn't thought about pesticides before but it makes sense.

http://bbqsmokingwood.com/Wood Smoking.asp

Success!

Tried a new type of wood.  I got some pecan chips from a local store here, used .4oz then another .2oz once those were done for some chicken legs/thighs.  They came out fantastic!

I've made sure to take the drip pan and place it on the ground below the smoker rather than in the holder so I could get a bit more airflow.  The chips were just ash when the smoke was over, rather than charcoal.

Thank you everyone for the responses.

Glad you got it straightened out. I did salsa, trout and ribs over the weekend with my old wood and no issues. I love HD (I'm like a kid in a candy store in that place), but it is NOT the place to buy wood chunks for smoking.

Glad you got it straightened out. I did salsa, trout and ribs over the weekend with my old wood and no issues. I love HD (I'm like a kid in a candy store in that place), but it is NOT the place to buy wood chunks for smoking.
Exactly!!  X2

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky