Hello from the UK! Attempting to build an offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RongSpeling

Original poster
Jun 7, 2023
North West UK
Hey guys, I'm a guy from the UK in my late teens. Really enjoy cooking, but trying to find good barbecue around my neck of the woods is like trying to get blood out of a stone. I wanted to see what I'm missing out on across the pond, so I hope to build my own offset smoker over summer 2023 to see what the fuss was about (I'm sure it'll be like enlightenment for the average Brit over here). Also I have nowhere near enough money to buy one, so building it myself is really my only option, and it also allows me to customise it!

My main reason for making this account was to get some advice on my design for the smoker, since I'm completely new to this and have only looked at a few threads and smoker builds on youtube so far. I'm usually quite finicky and overanalyse a bunch of stuff, and am starting to with my design, so was hoping some people with more experience than me could help me out. Will really appreciate any advice!

Hoping to get some equipment for buidling

(Please bear with me, almost completely new to this entire thing so I may seem quite slow and clueless throughout this process)

Cheers guys!

Well here's a good start for planning... I used Dave's calculator to build mine (build link in my signature)...

Reactions: RongSpeling
Welcome from Kentucky! Plenty of knowledgeable folks around here, and Keith has steered you in the right direction.

Reactions: RongSpeling
Well here's a good start for planning... I used Dave's calculator to build mine (build link in my signature)...

Wow, I didn't even realise reverse flow was a thing. I do mean it when I said I am completely new! With that design being more compact and allowing better airflow (over and under the meat sounds a lot better) then I might go for something like this then, although it looks a bit harder to build.

I might start a new thread for the build itself, I just thought it would be nice to be acquainted with you all.

Thanks for the link though! Didn't expect help this quickly, and as a bit of a maths geek this looks really interesting. Cheers!

8 Penhill Industrial Park,
Beaumont Road,
Banbury,
Oxfordshire,
OX161RW. Are you anywhere near here? They have some nice smokers you may get to get some measurements off of. They get Shirley smokers In and have Franklin smoker too.

8 Penhill Industrial Park,
Beaumont Road,
Banbury,
Oxfordshire,
OX161RW. Are you anywhere near here? They have some nice smokers you may get to get some measurements off of. They get Shirley smokers In and have Franklin smoker too.
Sadly not, I'm up towards the Northern end of England. I will try and get some measurements from other builds I see on this site though!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky