Hello from Oregon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ivys1

Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Oregon
My name is Ivy. I live in Oregon with my husband and grandson. We were given a Brinkman Smok N Pit by a friend who had no more use for it. I was able to find the Brinkman site and have printed the manual for the one we have.

Since neither one of us has the faintest idea how to use a smoker or how to smoke meat of any kind I went internet searching and found this site.

I signed up for the 5 day email beginer course and the newletter here. Now I am hoping that I will be able to find some more help/suggestions on what to use for the wood to smoke with and recipes for rubs and spices. I will explore other forum threads and see what I can find for a really really scared first timer.

At this point it is still raining quite often so will have some time to do my exploring here and to see what else I can find out about our smoker before we give it a try. I like to be at least a bit prepared before I do try smoking for the first time.

I look forward to learning alot from everyone here....

Ivy
confused.gif

Welcome to the SMF IVY. You will learn alot of what you need to know from the e-course you signed up for, that's a great place to start. Also do some reading here, tons of great info on all things smoked, including different kinds of smokers, woods to use, rubs, and great recipes. A great rub is the one Tulsa Jeff offers.

Great bunch of folks here so if you have questions just ask, someone will be along to answer.

Glad you found us!!!
smile.gif

Welcome to SMF! Glad you found us.

Sounds like you have the right idea. Signing up for the 5-day ecourse and newsletter, along with browsing through the forums will get you there. Please don't hesitate to ask questions. The friendly folk here will make answer.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Welcome Ivy, Ivy's husband and grandson -

You've come to the right place and found the friendliest folks on the net. The experiances of the people here are amazing. You can learn as little or as much as you can handle when you want to and it's all free!

Ask any questions you may have someone will be around to answer in short order!

icon_smile.gif

Ivy, welcome to SMF. Know you will find lots of valuable info here, but if you can't find the answer to a question, just post the question, there's alot of knowledge and help on the forum and someone will have an answer for you shortly.

Ivy, it's nice to have you join us here at SMF. Don't be too scared-remember, we were all beginners once. You have the opportunity to tap into a wealth of knowledge here that a lot of us never had. We had to learn by A LOT of trial and error. You'll have some trial and error, but that's just part of learning all about your smoker, temp. control and timing. When it all comes together for you, you will be amazed.

Please share with us your successes as well as your flops- we'll be able to help you discover what went wrong. If your wondering what to smoke first, I would suggest A) chicken quarters as they will take a higher temp, and B) Pork butts or picnics as they will be more forgiving of temp. spikes and still turn out fairly well.

Like others have mentioned-ask questions no matter how dumb it may sound. You'll get an answer or someone will post a link where that same or a similar question was asked and answered.

Enjoy!

Welcome Ive. I've been smoking for about a month now and I have learned so much from the folks here on the SMF. Everyone is so nice. I'm hooked for life now. I've had a few flops but for the most part I'm really pleased with what I've produced.

Have fun learning,

Bob

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky