Hello from Michigan!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jc523

Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
My Camp Chef Woodwind is on a truck somewhere, making its way to my house, should be here sometime early next week.

I'm new to smoking and pellet grills - what should be my first smoke?

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome jc523.
I would suggest pork shoulder for your first smoke. But plan on approximately 12 hours for internal temp of 195*-200*.
Good luck.

Reactions: jc523 and JC in GB
Pork shoulder is inexpensive and forgiving. It is also quite versatile. I have done pork shoulder with no rub or seasoning at all, just heat and smoke. Shredded and seasoned after the cook.

It is not my favorite method but for a first time cook, that will give you a great learning experience about just how you want to enhance that smoke and pork flavor.

I like to pull the shoulder out of the pit at about 203 F IT. Wrap it, let it rest a while (30 - 60 minutes) then shred it. Save any juice from the wrap to make a finishing sauce if you want to go that route.

Happy smoking....

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: jc523
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky