Hello from Michigan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alexarrrrrrrrr

Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Hi all

My name is Alex. I am a true rookie to smoking. So much so that I have yet to buy a smoker. I live in the metroDetrit area. I have tried with limited success to "smoke" a few things on my bbq grill.

I was hoping that some many be willing to share experiences with different
smokers out there. I was leaning toward a propane smoker for a few reasons mainly because I have a young (very curious) family.

I look forward to discussing with many of you in the future. Thanks in advance for all the info and future guidance

Alex

Hey Alex and welcome to SMF! Glad you found us. In deciding on a smoker, it's comes down to affordability, how much you want to tend it and what you will be smoking.

There's reviews here on the forum of different types of smokers. I personally own an MES 40 (Masterbuilt Electric 40"), the price was good, I didn't really want to deal with charcoal/wood and I smoke a wide variety of items. It's pretty much set and forget it once you have it dialed in. Works great for low temp smoking such as jerky, sausage, snack sticks etc, cold smoking cheese, bacon when you use the AMNPS (amazen pellet smoker). MES doesn't make much if any smoke at lower temps. It's super for long hot smokes such as pork butt, brisket, etc and I do chicken, ribs, burgers, fish...well you get the idea.

Hello Alex and 
welcome1.gif
 to SMF - I agree with both previous posters. For safety with young curious minds I would start with an electric. They are well insulated to keep little hands from being burned.  I too have the SmokinTex but it is a pricey unit as compared to the MES. 

Good luck with your adventure and feel free to ask away. Just start a new thread in the smokers section so folks who don't visit here can help you 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky