Hello From Baton Rouge, Louisiana

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jgleas114

Original poster
Sep 18, 2023
I bought a primos grill about 4 years ago and have used it to grill exclusively. I may have used it a dozen times. I was talking with a buddy of mine about getting rid of the ceramic grill and just getting a gas grill. Growing family, 2 working parents ... it just made sense in my head. He told me before I got rid of it that I needed to attempt to smoke some meat. My buddy knowing my obsessive personality, he sent me this forum.

What cut of meat to smoke first?

I have the deflector plates, what else do I need?

What wood should I use and how to incorporate the wood with the lump charcoal?

Help!

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to the forums, glad you joined us. My suggestion is a nice bone in pork butt, 7-8 lbs., maybe, for pulled pork. With a drip pan under it, gotta save those juices. Apple wood pairs great with pork. Burying it in the lump charcoal is your best bet, a couple of fist size chunks is all you need.
Hope this helps and your cook turns out great. Again, welcome.
Oh, by the way, that's a true friend you have there.

P. S. We need pics or it never happened. :emoji_laughing:

Last edited:
Ol' Red Stick. Welcome. Pork butt for sure. Cook it until you can pull the bone out. It's hard to make one inedible.

In your neck of the woods, a combo of fruitwood (any, I prefer cherry) and a hardwood like pecan or oak makes killer Q. I'm not familiar with your smoker, but if it were me, I'd be figuring it out on pork butts.

A fatty chuck makes wonderful pulled beef. Take it to pot roast tender, most forgiving of beef cuts IMO.

kamodo/egg guys will be along soon to hook you up on laying out your charcoal and wood chunks.

Last edited:
Welcome from Mississippi! You may be loving or cursing your friend before long. This place is addictive, the folks are nice, and we will find ways to spend your money!!! As others have said, do a pork butt, Its a great first long cook and very forgiving. You gotta work really hard to mess one up. And pics are a requirement, we are like kids on show and tell day.

Jim

Welcome from Vt. glad to have ya join the fun. I'll go against the grain here, and suggest a smoked meatloaf. That is if you like meatloaf. It's quick, easy, and smoking it takes it to a whole new level.

Anyway welcome and good luck with your smoke
Chris

Welcome! Do NOT get rid of the Primos. Gas is quick but you'll lose the flavor. You can add it to your arsenal, but do not sell the ceramic. Look around here for tips on setting up for a long smoke. Couple different ways to do it, ceramic will hold heat for a long time and you do not need a ton a charcoal to do it. You've had the grill for 4 years and it has yet to reach its potential. You can change that this weekend. Good luck.

Some great recipes over here:
https://www.smoking-meat.com/

Welcome from Colorado. The pork butt is a great choice. The search feature on this site is great, so you can likely find someone who has used your Primos grill to do a butt or whatever else sounds good. If you don’t find the detail you need, just ask. Lots of options on the details. Good luck.

Welcome from the Hoosier State. Definitely agree, smoke a pork butt. They are the easiest and the most forgiving. If you haven't done one before I usually suggest new smokers take a look at the recipe in my sig below.

I bought a primos grill about 4 years ago and have used it to grill exclusively. I may have used it a dozen times. I was talking with a buddy of mine about getting rid of the ceramic grill and just getting a gas grill. Growing family, 2 working parents ... it just made sense in my head. He told me before I got rid of it that I needed to attempt to smoke some meat. My buddy knowing my obsessive personality, he sent me this forum.

What cut of meat to smoke first?

I have the deflector plates, what else do I need?

What wood should I use and how to incorporate the wood with the lump charcoal?

Help!
Welcome from S. Florida. get something on sale like Boston butt so if it goes south it's not a big deal. Just my $.02
John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky