HEB score

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

salesbbq

Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
San Antonio, TX

Today being black Friday, I decided to stay in and not go out anywhere until I found myself low on beer... So I hung the Christmas lights for the Mrs. and then decided to hit up HEB. We grabbed a few things and as my lovely wife was looking and pondering and trying to decide on a bottle of wine I went and checked the meat department. Sitting under two pre trimmed briskys (which was in the wrong place to begin with) was this gorgeous little rectangle piece of meat marked choice. I have only seen select at this store and to my surprise it was the same price as the select. I wasn't planning on buying another brisket cause I have two in the freezer but I didn't pass it up. So long story short it is on the smoker and I cant wait to see if there is any difference at all. 

Anyone else have a find like that at HEB? Do yall think the grade of brisky makes a difference? Im currently smoking on my UDS but next month my Lonestargrillz smoker will be here (3 months is torture to wait) and cant wait to to see the difference from a stick burner and the charcoal UDS.

Anyway thought I would share some excitement today and I hope everyone had a wonderful happy holiday yesterday.

Last edited:
From a carcass quality grade (prime,choice, select) they are determined by the amount of inter muscular fat " marbling " in the loineye between the 12 13th ribs where you split the carcass for front & hind quarters. Age of the animal and color of the meat are other factors of quality.
The brisket is one place you look at for fullness in evaluating the live animal for Finnish (fat) but live grades and quality grades don't always turn out the same. Carcas yeild grades would give you a better indication of how fat the animal was but we do not normally see that number when we buy whole sale cuts like a packer brisket. Imho I'm don't think we can visibly tell the difference between a select and a choice brisket with the packaging removed. But this would need more testing doing side by side cooks and if I were closer I would volunteer to help with the tastings I mean testing.

Good luck it looks like you are on your way to some good eats.
PABEEF

^ if I ever have a question about beef I am asking this man.  Sounds like he he believes there isn't much of a difference on average for that cut of meat.

I smoked it the same way as the others and honestly could not tell much of a difference. But then again I have been very happy with all my briskets the last year. Im guessing the meat is so tough that if you show it some love it will come out all soft and tasty regardless the grade? 

Thanks for the heads up though. Any tips on finding that perfect brisket amongst the masses? 

I always buy choice because that's what my market puts on sale (usually 3.99 a pound for full packers). However last summer I went to pick up a few for a buddies daughters graduation party and the guy at the market told me I was stealing them at 3.99 a pound because they were prime. I was in shock. 8 bought 4 that day and went back the next day and bought 3 more. the people at the party raved about the brisket. Seemed better to me to.

I always buy choice because that's what my market puts on sale (usually 3.99 a pound for full packers). However last summer I went to pick up a few for a buddies daughters graduation party and the guy at the market told me I was stealing them at 3.99 a pound because they were prime. I was in shock. 8 bought 4 that day and went back the next day and bought 3 more. the people at the party raved about the brisket. Seemed better to me to.
Hopefully PABEEF will pitch in because thats what I thought. Like the grade of the meat would carry over through the steer? But down here in TX at HEB I am pretty pleased with the select brisket at 1.97 a pound for a  full packer. 

Went home to MT and the butcher wanted 8 dollars a pound for a full packer. This may have been the first time I was happy to live in TX 
icon_eek.gif

Here in Michigan choice is 7.99 a pound everyday for a packer. When it goes on sale it's either 3.99 or 4.99 a pound. I try to stack up on them when they are cheap. But getting prime for 3.99 a pound is just not something that happens. Heck of a deal.

Good score!  I have seen that occasionally at my HEB too, for me it seems like the Choice cooked quicker than Select of the same size.  Every great once in awhile you may run across a PRIME brisket marked cheap, sort of like finding the Great Pumpkin!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky