Heavy Smoker - How to Move

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

antirice

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
I'm building a smoker for my backyard and it is looking like it'll be in the neighborhood of 1,100 pounds when it's all said and done. This is not going on a trailer, but I would still like to be able to shuffle it around on occasion.

I'm looking for DIY ideas to make this thing not a nightmare to move on occasion that don't involve towing it behind a truck. I don't mind if it takes 3-4 people to move when it needs to be wheeled around. I just don't have the space for a full trailer where it'll eventually sit.

Thanks
- Chris

Options will depend on the surface. If concrete then there are many steel wheel options. If yard then some type of pneumatic tire may be an option. Sure others will chime in with more ideas

I'm thinking some kind of wheels that will hold the weight... maybe positioned for a light "tongue weight" for a two wheeled set up... otherwise a four wheel set up will be about the only way (without a forklift) ...

The ultimate resting place will be a concrete pad, but I have to pass through a grass area to get there at least initially when I first bring it home.

I'm not averse to making a temporary cart to get it onto the concrete pad either.

I'm thinking some kind of wheels that will hold the weight... maybe positioned for a light "tongue weight" for a two wheeled set up... otherwise a four wheel set up will be about the only way (without a forklift) ...

y'know, I could probably get ahold of a couple heavy-duty pneumatic wheels and essentially make a two-wheeled furniture dolly for use when moving it. Thanks for the idea!

Possibly mount trailer coupler and use a hand trailer dolly. Use one for my bay skiff, makes moving it pretty easy.
Look at some boat trailer part sites for some ideas. Last 14" rim/tires for the trailer was $38 each. You can order full axle kits also.
Any pics of the build yet

Last edited:
Very carefully :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:

Just joking around but check with some of these yard shed builders or a out fit like pod's storage boxes. Those guys have wheel dollies to move their product around real easy. one on each corner .

Warren

Reactions: antirice
Very carefully :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:

Just joking around but check with some of these yard shed builders or a out fit like pod's storage boxes. Those guys have wheel dollies to move their product around real easy. one on each corner .

Warren

I didn't think about the pod people. Not a bad idea - thanks!

Weld spindles to the smoker... use regular wheels and tires... Jack it up, remove the tires... block the smoker up and light the fire...

I used 14 inch steel wheels on the firebox side for my 120 gallon compressor tank build. I then used a couple of heavy duty castors from HF on the front. Everything leveled in such a way that the whole thing is tilted towards the drain. Mine moves in and out of the garage with just moderate effort from me alone.

As for getting it to the concrete....get a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood and cut it in half. Put the first piece on the grass and push the smoker onto it. Place the second one next, butted up against the first, and push the smoker onto that one. Pick up the first piece and move it to the front....or, use sheet steel if you have access to some scrap pieces? That might get it done....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky