Heavy D or P.I.G. For Smoke Pro

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

2fatpugs

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
Picked up a Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro on Craigslist for $350. Would you guys recommend getting the Heavy D (the heat deflector it came with is pretty warped) or Notorious P.I.G. for extra smoke? I did a search and didn’t see any posts about the Heavy D in a Pellet Pro vertical.

Attachments

• CEA40FD1-B35D-4BA3-B8C5-B446603EFB92.jpeg
    CEA40FD1-B35D-4BA3-B8C5-B446603EFB92.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to the site, I would go cheap with a tube and see what it does for smoke before I started spending bigger $ can be bought for $20 at a lot of Walmart's, I load mine with hickory bark and pack pellets into it . works well enough for me

Welcome to the site, I would go cheap with a tube and see what it does for smoke before I started spending bigger $ can be bought for $20 at a lot of Walmart's, I load mine with hickory bark and pack pellets into it . works well enough for me

I tried smoke tubes in my Camp Chef and I didn't feel it added enough smoke flavor. It could have been because I was using one that only works with pellets. The Pellet Pro is WAY bigger than my Camp Chef so I assume a tube would work even less effectively.

I have experience using both the Heavy D Heat Diffuser and the Magnum P.I.G. Smoke Generator… IMHO, the Heavy D Heat Diffuser is best used just as a heat diffuser, without adding wood to it. To many reasons why, but the 2 main reasons are the type of smoke it produces once the wood chunks have ignition, which is TWS and once there’s complete ignition, your grills temp will shoot WaY up… I still use the SD Heavy D. in my Pellet Pro Austin XL, but only as a heat diffuser ..
1632583889423.jpeg

With the SD Magnum P.I.G. you’ll get hardwood and charcoal smoke that your pellet smoker can’t produce on its own, plus the added benefit of not having extreme increases in your smokers temp like your would with the Heavy D. Heat Diffuser when adding wood to it. Also, the Magnum P.I.G. is much easier to reload while bbqing then the SD Heavy D. The only real downside with the Magnum P.I.G. is its $200.00 price tag.. FYI.. The Magnum P.I.G. would be the only smoke generator that I would buy from SmokeDaddyinc, as you will have a much longer burn/smoke time then you would get from the two smaller Smoke Generators from Smoke Daddy. You do have other options to consider if you’re willing to think outside the box a bit. If you want more pellet smoke, then add a pellet smoke tube like Mike243 mentioned already for a cost of about $20.00. Not a bad investment and you can use them for Cold Smoking as well. Now, if you want to add some real hardwood and charcoal smoke to your Pellet Pro Smoker, I would add a nice size smoke basket and fill it with charcoal and a few hardwood chunks. You’ll be able to enjoy both hardwood and charcoal smoke as well as pellet smoke from an investment that may cost you all of $30.00-$40.00 dollars. On my Pellet Pro Austin XL, I have both the Magnum P.I.G. and a Smoke Basket installed on it.
1632583574001.jpeg

1632583666028.jpeg
The primary smoke production is coming from the hardwood and charcoal, while the pellets and the Pellet Pro PID Controller is maintaining the heat. Info.. Whatever smoke generator you decide to go with, always set your pellet smoker at temps that’s appropriate for smoking. The higher the smokers set temp, the harder the auger/burn pot fan will blow air, which equals less smoke being produced. Low and Slow bbqing always equals more smoke from pellet grills.
With your Pellet Pro Vertical Smoker, it has 4 nice size shelves for bbqing, so I would either use the bottom shelf or the drip pan that sits right beneath the bottom rack and place the smoke basket there. That smoker has a lot of space to work with, so you have quite a few options to consider. Good luck and let us know how everything works out.

Last edited:
I saw your post and I am not sure if I will have the same temp swings since the Pellet Pro has a much bigger cooking chamber and a built in vent on top to help regulate the additional heat.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky