Heating Fatties

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brewyah

Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Hey,

So...I'd never heard of fatties until I built my brick smoker and started checking out the real world of smoking on this site.  Wow.  Fatties.  Awesome.  I must make this happen.

Now, I have a question.  I've seen people making them the night before, then slicing and frying the next day.  I'm thinking of making a bunch of them at the same time, smoking them, and then freezing them.  Does anyone have experience with doing this?  My thought was to then pull them out and heat them in the oven, in a loaf pan, covered with foil, like you might do with a lasagna.  Is anyone aware of a reason why this might not work?  Part of my reason for this is because I'm hosting several families at my place for a wedding next month, and it seemed like an easy way to get breakfast going while I rally the troops in the morning...less time consuming then slicing up a few fatties and frying them...

Any thoughts or better ideas?

Cheers!

Yes, freezing and reheating works fine, you can either heat whole or fry slices, depending on the contents.

Awesome!  That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.  I'm going to get adventurous next weekend and try to do up several of these bad boys (some breakfast, some dinner) to stock the freezer for coming events.  Thanks for the confirmation of my hopes and dreams...haha...

Been freezing them for years.  Both whole and sliced.  I usually make up a bunch at the same time as it takes the same amount of time, fuel and smoke to make one fatty as it does to make as many as your smoker will hold (or somewhere in between).

Just take them out of the freezer and put in the fridge the night before you want to use them.  You can either microwave them for a quick reheat, but I usually slice and reheat in a non-stick frying pan.  The cheese and fat will caramelize the meat and add flavor.  Flip to the other side and repeat.  Then serve as "Fatty Patties" like you would sausage patties or put them in a biscuit!  Awesome either way.

PS - if you don't already have a foodsaver or other similar vacuum unit, they are well worth the money to do just what Squib posted photos of!  Like I said, the smoker is up to temp and running so you might as well make extra to put in the freezer for later when you don't have the time for a multi-hour or over night smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky