Heating element problem?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indianaman79

Original poster
May 4, 2012
Hi All -

When i put my smoker at max temp (275), the highest it gets is about 245 on a decent day (60‐70 degrees with light wind). I tried doing a brisket outside when it was 40 degrees and it maxed out around 230. Is this normal or should i try changing the heating element or is there something else im not thinking of?

Edit - when i did the temp readings i was not smoking anything.

Last edited:
If you are an extension cord, that can be an issue if not big enough. Had that happen before. As Jeff said more info could help. My Bradley was pretty low temps until I modified it. Recovery time and a big ole hunk of beef can take a bit.

If you are an extension cord, that can be an issue if not big enough. Had that happen before. As Jeff said more info could help. My Bradley was pretty low temps until I modified it. Recovery time and a big ole hunk of beef can take a bit.
I am using an extension cord - 25' but not sure of the gauge. What do you recommend?

I recommend an extension cord rated for outdoor use and ONLY as long as you need it.. i.e. 10 feet is better than 25 feet and minimum 12 gauge. This may not be the problem but it's a great place to start and it eliminates this as being one of your issues.

Reactions: indianaman79
What are you using to measure the temp? The Masterbuilt's system? If so, maybe it's time to consider a separate wireless temp gauge. I use a 15' 12-3 gauge extension cord on my MES40 and no issues, but will say I do not run such high temps for this particular smoker is dedicated to fish.

I don't know why people say not to use an extension cord and using an "outdoor" extension cord is pure nonsense. Now the OP had the right idea by saying he doesn't know what gauge the cord is. Using too high of a gauge means smaller wire. Think about it ... as long as you're using the appropriate gauge wire for the length and load, you're fine. Some buildings are are properly wired with outlets well over 100' or more away from their breaker boxes. Wire gauge for the load is all that matters.

I would look into whether or not your smoker is insulated. I have a MasterBuilt electric smoker and experienced the same thing you did. Mine wasn't insulated at all so I insulated mine and now it can take wind and cold temps without any issues. I disassembled mine and filled the hollow voids with vermiculite.

I recommend an extension cord rated for outdoor use and ONLY as long as you need it.. i.e. 10 feet is better than 25 feet and minimum 12 gauge...
Good advice! And to be clear, "minimum" in this usage means you don't want wire gauges "larger" in numerical value than 12 gauge. So cheap extension cords of 14 or 16 AWG is NOT what you want.

Reactions: TulsaJeff
What are you using to measure the temp? The Masterbuilt's system? If so, maybe it's time to consider a separate wireless temp gauge. I use a 15' 12-3 gauge extension cord on my MES40 and no issues, but will say I do not run such high temps for this particular smoker is dedicated to fish.
Good question.

Its a thermometer with multiple ports and i am putting 2 of them in the smoker while its going. They sit bare on the grates while i have the thermostat turned up to max. Both read +/- 3 dgrees of each other. And yes i've calibrated them both

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky