Head cheese from pigs head.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lathrop

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Port Townsend, Washington
I just looked at Al's take on head cheese which has no pigs head in it. I approve  of the effort. However i am looking for a recipe using a whole head. As a bit of history. I helped with the killing and butchering of pigs when I was a little kid.  so when I was 6 or 7 years old after the head was boiled the adtults put me to work picking all the meat off the skull. The next day we would have a slice from the ice box which was ambrosia.  I have no idea what the recipe was, but it started with a whole head. boiled till the meat fll off the bone. I have seen directions to include skin trotters etc to provide binders and gelatin. but so far no actual recipe. which starts with the head.  I have a head and some of the "nasty bits"   and can get more if needed.

George

I'm not sure there is a lot of difference between a recipe using the meat cleaned from the head of the pig or meat made from the trotters and butt.   Personally I would remove all neural matter before boiling, including the eyes.  I believe brain tissue is not allowed to be used by commercial producers.     The only other concern I would have would be the amount of gelatin available in the head.  I'm pretty sure there is enough to allow the hogshead cheese to properly set (snout, lips, ears) but if you can get trotters adding a couple sure wouldn't hurt.

I'm not sure what other "bits and pieces" you are talking about but I've never considered hogshead cheese an "organ" product.  I'd use the tongue, lips, cheek meat and any other bits of meat removed from the skull

SmokeNDrank posted a recipe from a much apreciated old time New Orleans cookbook.  I would start with that and make adjustments for any ingredients that are no longer available.

Good Luck,  don't forget the Qview.

Thanks Al. It will be at least a couple of weeks before I get started on this project. right now I am gathering information.  A friend sent me a link to classes in farm slaughter and such cookerie as headcheese and liverwurst.. I am finding a # of recipes. and will report on the product when I finish.

George

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky